How to add extra-credit items in a quiz/test? (not 0-point items)

rdutta
Community Participant

I also have two urgent questions about the quiz tool:

1. I provide a few extra-credit items on a test and now that I have to do the test online in a hurry, I am not sure how to do this. To explain the issue I am using this as an example. Say, I provide students 6 Questions for a quiz worth 5 points, so ANY 1 item serves as an extra-credit item (not an item chosen by me to have a point value of 0). How do I do that in Canvas? Is it possible to turn a quiz worth 6 points into some other assignment and change the total points to 5 in that assignment while retaining the actual values the students obtained?

(PS: Someone suggested that I make each item worth .833 which cannot work (because if they got 5 of 6 right, instead of getting 5/5 (100%; which is the intent here), they would get (.833 X 5 = 4.17/6 which is 70%).

2.  Having read other similar questions, this is how I am thinking it could work. I give them the Q1 for 6 points. Then create an assignment (with no submission) and call it Q1-Adjusted out of 5 points, and copy the scores over to the new assignment which is set to a point value of 5. Then go back and change the Q1 to an "ungraded survey" or "practice quiz".  Will this work?? I do not want the scores getting counted twice obviously. My understanding is that an ungraded survey disappears as a column in the grade book. Is that accurate? (I don't have a problem if it is so after I have copied the scores). 

0 Likes