Highlighted
Community Member

How to best organize modules

Hello all,

My students will be working in groups the entire semester producing multimedia content for 20 separate sections of a digital manual. I currently have the Canvas modules identified by the week in which I will be explaining the needed deliverable for each section of the manual. How should I manage due dates since each group will need to pop in and out of all the sections throughout the semester and in no particular order. If I set due dates, the students hate seeing LATE when they make submissions after the section is introduced, but if I don't set due dates, the students don't see dates on the syllabus. Any suggestions are welcome! 

2 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hello rwhitakerheck@champlain.edu Thank You for posting your question.  I know this probably isn't a direct answer to your question, but as I read your question, I immediately thought of a blog post by james@richland.edu called Removing Missing and Late Labels.  This might be of interest to you since you mentioned "Late" labels after submitting an assignment.  I'm sure someone else may have some ideas for you about your main question, but I wanted to at least provide you with a link to James' write-up (he also has a video demo in that blog post, by the way).

I hope this will be of help to you, Rosalynne.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

Highlighted
Explorer II

Hi Rosalynne Whitaker-Heck,

If students are popping in and out of the sections in any order throughout the semester, then you're right, do not put in due dates for those parts. Is there anything that they have to submit each week to show they are making progress?

I would suggest having a separate category of assignments for Status Updates or Check-ins whatever, that will have weekly due dates and the students can write a quick report of which section they worked on during that week.

Another alternative, is to put to-do dates on the explanation pages and then it will show up on the Student To-Do list. But not in the Syllabus.

How do I create a new page in a course? 

Edit Page settings

You can add the page to the student to-do list by selecting the Add to student to-do checkbox [2]. When you add a page to the student to-do, the to-do displays in the student's to-do list as well as the in the course calendar and modules.

Hope this alternative helps,
Cheers - Shar