How to calculate averages based on displayed percentages

Jump to solution
julaine_rosner
Community Novice

I have many assignments in one category (homework, classes, and quizzes).  These assignments vary in the amount of points that they are worth.  I like to display the grades as percentages so that it's clear to students what grade they are getting.  Unfortunately, Canvas calculates the averages in a category using the point value of an assignment and not the displayed percentage.  I used to do my grades in Excel and in Excel, the averages were calculated based on the displayed average (not the underlying point value)

I asked Canvas for help, and the representative told me to make sure that all assignments had the same point value.  That is not a good fix.  An assignment with fewer points should not be valued less than an assignments with a greater number of points.  There are so many assignments throughout the semester and if each assignment in a category should have equal weight.  

Please tell me how I can re-configure my Canvas gradebook so that averages are calculated based on displayed averages and not the underlying denominators.

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@julaine_rosner  

You already have the correct answer -- make all points in an assignment group worth the same number of points. The functionality to make all of the assignments count the same no matter what their point values does not exist within Canvas.

There is an open feature idea to allow what you're asking for; you are encouraged to go there and leave comments, vote for the idea, or provide a use case.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4174-assignments-within-weighted-groups-treated-with-equal-val... 

View solution in original post

0 Likes