cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How to cancel a course import?

Jump to solution

I wanted to show a colleague how to import content into a course, and I was showing him the steps provided by jkocher@ufl.edu​ in the post https://community.canvaslms.com/message/3429#3429.  Once I got to the step to import the information I no longer needed to proceed with the demonstration.  That is when I could not figure out how to cancel the import.   There is a cancel button on the page listing the content that you want to select to import; however there is no cancel for the overall action of importing. Anybody have any ideas?

TIA,

Ron

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bowmanr@uah.edu​, as far as I'm aware there is no way to cancel a course import once it gets started. Yet, if you want to clear it out once it's done you can "Reset Course Content" - How do I reset course content? Side note - this will delete EVERYTHING out of the course, not just the recent import.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bowmanr@uah.edu​, as far as I'm aware there is no way to cancel a course import once it gets started. Yet, if you want to clear it out once it's done you can "Reset Course Content" - How do I reset course content? Side note - this will delete EVERYTHING out of the course, not just the recent import.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu

I figured that was the case.  It does not matter in this case.  I was importing into my playground course.  I will just leave it as a pending import and not worry about it.  I knew about the reset course, and I really have no intention of ever using that feature until I do something stupid.

Highlighted

Ronald:

"Reset Course Content" is my best friend as I use my sandbox for all sorts of faculty and student training, and clean out all the gobbledygook at least once a week. That being said, we actually turned this feature off for faculty after cleaning up a few  "stupid" mistakes.

Highlighted

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu​, I use it all the time as well, but we also have it turned off for faculty.

Highlighted

5 years later is this really the best Canvas can do??  This is considered a "solution"?!?  I have a course import that is waiting for me to select content, but when I set it up I accidentally chose the wrong course.  So the content I need to import isn't in there.  I need to cancel the import.  This shouldn't be hard. 

Highlighted
Community Member

I did two successful imports and the third attempt failed. The fourth attempt is stuck on pre-processing for 24 hours. I restarted Canvas and tried a fifth time. It now has the status queued, but nothing seems to be happening as the pre-processing 4th attempt which states that the file is missing isn't working. The queue seems to be blocked and I don't know how to eliminate that import. I am willing to Reset Course Content, but want to be sure that the whole import queue will be cleared out as well as the already imported content.

Highlighted

I'm having that same issue

Highlighted

Hi Jenna,

It looks like the zip file that failed to import twice was blocked as containing unsupported content.  Where did the zip file come from?

Highlighted

I'm guessing you took a look at my account? I created those files (somehow) using Canvas options. I believe I used the "export content' in the modules page for one of them. I was able to successfully import content from my development shell into my actual course when I went to settings and prepared a course export again.

When I commented above, I was trying to help a colleague who was stuck with the pre-processing message. To solve her problem we did the following:

1. exported her current course (making sure the downloaded file was a .imscc
  2. reset the course
  3. imported the course export