cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to change the number of points a quiz is worth after publishing?

Jump to solution

Hello!

How do I change the number of points a quiz is worth? The quiz is already published and I assigned grades. See screenshot below - top right. I need the Points to be 10, not 0. Thanks.

332574_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi Armina,

Since the students took the quiz on paper, you do not need to use the Canvas quiz. Make it a regular assignment and either choose No submission or On Paper for the submission type.

How do I add or edit details in an assignment? 

In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the type of submission you want to accept for the assignment. By default, the submission type will be set to Online.

• No Submission is when you do not want students to submit an assignment in Canvas. This assignment type can be used to create extra columns in the Gradebook, or when you want to create an assignment that involves multiple scores. Submission Type does not apply to Not Graded assignments.
  • On Paper is when you want students to submit an assignment to you but not through Canvas. This assignment type applies to traditional face-to-face courses or hybrid courses when you want the assignment turned in during class, but you still want to create a column in the Canvas Gradebook for grading purposes.

Hope this advice helps,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi alamanna@glendale.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community!

In the legacy quiz tool, the total point value of the quiz is determined by the sum of the individual item point values. So, in order to change the total point value, you will need to edit every quiz item and give each of them a point value (I note from your screenshot, that none of your question items have an associated point value).

This guide will help you with the edit process https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12943-4152724267 

Kelley

Highlighted

Thank you so much! My students took the quiz on paper in class. Not online. So I just entered the grades.

Highlighted

alamanna@glendale.edu 

With the new quizzing tool (appropriately named "New Quizzes"), you can set an overall point value for the quiz, irregardless of the value of individual question items.

You can learn more at What is New Quizzes? and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes 

Kelley

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Armina,

Since the students took the quiz on paper, you do not need to use the Canvas quiz. Make it a regular assignment and either choose No submission or On Paper for the submission type.

How do I add or edit details in an assignment? 

In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the type of submission you want to accept for the assignment. By default, the submission type will be set to Online.

• No Submission is when you do not want students to submit an assignment in Canvas. This assignment type can be used to create extra columns in the Gradebook, or when you want to create an assignment that involves multiple scores. Submission Type does not apply to Not Graded assignments.
  • On Paper is when you want students to submit an assignment to you but not through Canvas. This assignment type applies to traditional face-to-face courses or hybrid courses when you want the assignment turned in during class, but you still want to create a column in the Canvas Gradebook for grading purposes.

Hope this advice helps,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

Community Member

Thank you to everyone so much. I appreciate your replies. 

Labels