How to correctly set Exam timings for students that need extra time

Jump to solution
Redblade017
Community Explorer

Hi all,

I am building a 4 hour exam for an academic and I am a little confused in where I edit the extra time a student receives for having a Learning Support Agreement.

I have set the time of the exam here:

Redblade017_0-1619438128870.png

Some students have been given an extra 25% so my thought is that I just need to add the extra time in the Quiz moderation page for ‘ +1 hour ’ and that this will then be added on top of the official exam time of 4 hours.

Redblade017_1-1619438128883.png

A colleague has told me that doing this is incorrect as if I leave the exam set at 4 hours, then this will be the same cut off for every student. Do I need to add the extra hour to the main time settings?

I am unable to find anything on this on the support pages and would appreciate some clear guidance on what I am supposed to do to avoid incorrect timings for students.

Many thanks

Rick

3 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @Redblade017 

You are correct! You use the Moderate Quiz page to add extra time for some students. Tell your colleague that yes it does work that way, and I have been doing it since 2012! And, yes it is in the guides! Depending on which quiz tool you are using.............

It's good to be right once in a while!

Kelley

View solution in original post

Hi Kelley,

Thank you for the reply and I will pass this on to my colleague.

I had a separate response from another Canvas forum that suggested that I could include the extra timings for students that needed more time in the 'assign to' area at the start of the exam, as I had been using the assign to 'everyone' option.

Kind regards

Rick

Hi again, @Redblade017 

You can use that method to extend availability dates and due dates, but you cannot use that method to extend the allotted testing time.

Kelley