cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blove
Surveyor

How to delete all Pages at once

Jump to solution

I copied an existing course (which came from blackboard) into a new course and have many items under the Pages tab.  Is there a way to delete them all at one time (I know how to delete each one individually, but that is painful).

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Learner II

Hi  @blove and welcome to the Canvas Community!

Unfortunately, at this stage, there is no way to bulk delete pages from the normal user interface. There have been a few folks with similar questions:

Can I delete multiple pages at a time? 

There is also an idea that you can vote up that is currently on the product radar. Check it out at: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4224 

Hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies
orwinr
Learner II

Hi  @blove and welcome to the Canvas Community!

Unfortunately, at this stage, there is no way to bulk delete pages from the normal user interface. There have been a few folks with similar questions:

Can I delete multiple pages at a time? 

There is also an idea that you can vote up that is currently on the product radar. Check it out at: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4224 

Hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

Hi orwinr‌!

Thanks for your response.  I apologize for missing that other question....not sure how my search missed it.  

Thank you for the pointer to the product radar idea.  I voted it up.

As  @GregoryBeyrer ‌ notes in his comment, more bulk-processing tools would be quite valuable.

Thanks again!

-Betty

James
Navigator

@blove ,

Depending on how many pages you have, you might check out Bulk Publish / Delete Pages. It is not part of Canvas andorwinr is right when he says this cannot be done from the normal user interface. That solution involves a Google Sheet that downloads all of your page names and lets you delete or publish/unpublish them en masse. It's not worth it for a few pages, but if you have several hundred, or hate repetitive clicking, then you might look into it.

The trick offered in the link Randy provided has the potential to be problematic. Resetting the course generates a new course ID and that might cause issues for your school if they are relying on that for integrations. You might want to check with your Canvas admin before going that route.

The second link that Randy gave to the idea on product radar is one I would go to and vote for if making it easier is important to you. Even if you happen to be going through a one-time conversion and not have very many courses or pages, to the people handling migrations for their entire college, the manual process can take a lot of time.

I reset a course for an instructor a few days ago, before we started SIS enrollment for our fall semester. That started Saturday, and your comment about the potential for problems reminded me to see if enrollment went where it was supposed to go. I'm happy to say that it did! This particular course is not using any third-party integrations, but I'm glad to say that enrollment stayed true.

It's still a great idea to add more bulk-processing tools within the UI for Canvas.

Thanks  @GregoryBeyrer ‌!  Definitely need more bulk-processing tools.

-Betty

I wasn't even thinking about third-party integrations, I was actually talking about integration with the institution's systems, but it would potentially apply to third-party integrations as well. Thankfully, those shouldn't be too bad since that reset should happen before students are in there doing things. 

I was thinking about the how we cache the Canvas ID on our local end so that we don't have to do lookups when we need them for API calls. That comes from early on when some functionality wasn't available using sis_id's and required the Canvas ID. If one of our faculty resets a course, that throws off all the Canvas ID's. And although we use SIS imports, some people create things through the API, which gives them the Canvas IDs as a response and then you're responsible for tracking those during the process.

Thank you for confirming that the SIS-supplied information transfers over.  That is indeed good to know and may I never have to use it -- although if the Arc people keep screwing with my course content, I may get pushed to that.

Thank you,  @James ‌!  Good to know about these 3rd-party tools.

James
Navigator

It's two years later, but Canvas has developed their own bulk page deletion solution. It becomes available with the August 15, 2020, release. More information is available in the Canvas Release Notes (2020-08-15)