How to design a lesson with nevigation capabilities in Canvas

Jump to solution
Hailstorm
Community Participant

I am trying to create lessons through which students can navigate.  Students would answer questions at specified points in the lesson.  I need the option to require students to answer correctly in order to move on or to be redirected to review the associated parts of the lesson.  I need the option to have students be able to navigate to enrichment, remedial, or other items of interest during the lesson - but those navigations would be optional.  The lesson needs to be graded as one assignment.  I'm not interested in have 5 separate quizzes for the lesson.  I also want to have the requirement that the entire lesson be complete before any credit is given.

Suggestions?  Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @Hailstorm 

Canvas is not actually a lesson-based platform; but rather, a module-based platform. What you are asking to do can be done in Canvas, but through some rather challenging work-rounds, or through the use of integrated third-part lesson-based tools like SoftChalk.

You could create a new Idea Conversation in this community to request the features you desire, but I do not hold much hope for quick satisfaction.

Alternately, you could spend some time in a couple of community focus groups learning the work-rounds necessary to design a lesson-based classroom within Canvas. I would suggest the Instructional Designers Group and the K-12 Group. Some really creative folks in those groups have found many tips, tricks and techniques to make Canvas feel more lesson-based.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes