cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carmenc_cardena
Community Member

How to divide my course into sections almost like google classroom?

I teach same course however they are A/B day, I would like to divide my sections accordingly. I would like the content posted day by day not all in once. I guess I would like to manage it as Google classroom. is it possible?

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @carmenc_cardena ​...

I'm not familiar with Google Classroom and how that works, so I won't be able to comment on that.  However, I can point you to some Canvas Guides that should help when it comes to sections in Canvas.

How are courses and sections related?

How do I add a section to a course?

I'll also say that our Technical College doesn't use sections as described in these Guides.  All of our courses are first set up through our Banner SIS (Student Information System), and so each course number is brought over from Banner to Canvas as a separate course.  So, for example, we have several "Computer Literacy" courses offered each semester with a course number of 103-159.  Then, we have a five-digit CRN (Course Reference Number) that tells us which "section" (not to be confused with the "section" terminology in the Guides) is which.  So, we might have 103-159-12345 and 103-159,12346, etc.  Each of those individual course has a unique course shell with an instructor and students which are different from one CRN to the next.

Does this help answer your question?  Please come back here to post a reply, and let the Community know if you have any other related questions about sections in Canvas.  Thanks Carmen!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @carmenc_cardena ​...

I wanted to check in with you since there hasn't been any activity in this particular topic since August 28th.  Did my reply help answer your question?  If not, please let us know.  If you have any additional comments/questions around this topic, please post those as well.  Thank you, Carmen!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @carmenc_cardena ​, we haven't heard from you in a while, I hope you've been able to resolve this issue. I would mention that many high school districts set up their teachers' courses in this fashion: If you teach three periods of Algebra, you will have a single Algebra course in Canvas, and within that Canvas course, you will have three sections, representing each of the periods in which you teach the course. From that point, you would want to use differentiated assignments to designate the appropriate due dates for those periods. This is detailed in How do I assign an assignment to an individual student or course section?​ This is a great solution, because you only have to create the content for the subject once, and you can then easily distribute the due dates among the periods without duplicating/triplicating your effort.