cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to drive visitors from YouTube to my Canvas course

I have a promo clip on YouTube which I want to redirect to a Canvas Course upon a click.

YouTube allows adding banners and linking them to URLs as long as one can prove ownership of the page / site. 

There are several ways to verify ownership, e.g.owning the web address, uploading a certain confirmation page or adding certain code to a site's page. The Google/YouTube specs can be found here. The guide explains how to associate a site with a movie and the verification methods available. 
Is it possible to do it for a Canvas course?

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello zshilor@gmail.com‌...

I may not be understanding the reasons why you'd want to link from a YouTube video to Canvas (as I've never done this myself or seen similar questions on how to do it), so please forgive me on that part.  Wouldn't it be easier to just embed your YouTube video in your Canvas course right away so that your students stay within your course and don't have to navigate away from it?  Again, maybe there are valid reasons for why you want to do what you want, but I'm not familiar with what those would be.  If you could provide some additional insights for the Community, I think that would be helpful.  Thanks!

EDIT: Re-reading this...it sounds like this is a promo video telling people about a course, and if they are interested...then take them to the Canvas course...is this right?  My apologies if I misinterpreted your question in my above response.

Highlighted

Those linked annotations / end cards, etc. can be really useful, especially for people watching a video on mobile, because it turns the video itself into a link that they can click (kind of like the way images in webpages can be active links). I've never set up a YouTube Channel to have an associated authorized website, but I've certainly clicked on plenty of videos. 🙂

Highlighted

Indeed this is a promo and therefore would better reside publicly on YouTube. Currently, at the end of the video there is a banner to click and navigate to my personal site and there I have a link to Canvas's course. I am seeking a way to bypass the extra ugly step. . 

Highlighted
Community Member

This is not a solution to the YouTube click question (I'm not a Canvas admin, so I have no idea what access is required to satisfy the different YouTube options for establishing ownership of the "site" as opposed to just course webpages, which is all I see)... but one thing I've done that is helpful is to create redirect URL's that PERSIST from semester to semester. I don't know what your situation is, but my course address changes every semester. It's also easier to say out loud and to type than a standard Canvas URL.

So, in order to have an address I can use all the time, I made this URL at my own domain, separate from our Canvas course space:

India.MythFolklore.net - that's the URL for my Indian Epics class.

Then I set up an .htaccess redirect in that space which currently goes to this address:

https://canvas.ou.edu/courses/31889

Last semester it went to this address:

https://canvas.ou.edu/courses/19837 

And so on.

I'll have a different address assigned by my school each semester that I cannot control, but I just update the redirect address so that the URL always goes to the current version of the class. That way, I can create links to my course that are good from semester to semester.

I hope you find a solution to your YouTube problem, but if you don't get the click-video solution that you want, having a nice, stable, easy-to-type URL might also help if your users do end up having the type the thing instead of just clicking.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi zshilor@gmail.com

I totally got what you are looking for, and why! And just by asking your question you have opened a whole new avenue for me to pursue that I did not know was there! Thank you!

My school is working on a public Canvas course as a recruitment tool - go to the course, view program information, complete program-interest forms, follow links to registration, financial aid, etc. We are going to put a link to the public course on our web site, but Wow! You just opened a much wider audience-capture tool. We have a YouTube account, we use YouTube routinely!

I now need to figure this puppy out! I know that first (yes, I just checked) I have to create an associated web site. I will try to establish that (we have several, so I just need to create a new one), then follow this discussion for more tips and tricks.

If I win the race and figure it out first, I'll be back with your solution. If not, then we will both learn together.

Again, thank you!

KLM

Highlighted

I am going to post a feature idea in case the dev team can learn the Google/YouTube verification requirements and come up with a simple solution for non-admin users.

Highlighted

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

zshilor@gmail.com,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

OK

0 Kudos
Labels