cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to enter grade as text?

I do not want Canvas to calculate my students' final letter grade. I want the freedom to issue the semester letter grade in an additional grade center column. For example, a student earns 895 points out of 1000, a B on my grade scale--but the student clearly deserves an A in the class. How do I create a column that lets me manually type in the letter grade that I will post to his/her transcript if different from the grading scale? Basically, how does Canvas let me work as effectively as Blackboard, letting me enter grades as "text," rather than "percent" or "numerical score"?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi proy33@prodigy.net‌ ~ Currently in Canvas, there is not a way to manually override the final score created by the assignments in your gradebook. However, please check out https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1696-override-final-grade and add comments to that discussion! Also, garth@academicplatforms.com‌ has a cool blog post that illustrates how to adjust final grades using an additional assignment group: Override / Adjust the Final Grade.

Highlighted

Thanks for these links, kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com‌! My school does not currently require the final grades to appear in Canvas, but it's good to have these options if/when that is required. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, proy33@prodigy.net‌...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on May 11th and then received a few replies from members of the Canvas Community.  Have you had the opportunity to review these responses?  If so, did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still need some help with this question, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, since we've not heard from you in quite a while and since there hasn't been any new activity here since May 17th, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but this won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you, Wood.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!