cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bteo10
Community Member

How to grade daily classroom participation

Jump to solution

I want to be able to grade students' class participation during each class. I have tried using the Attendance badges, but it does not automatically change the grade once a badge has been added; it is simply for note-taking purposes. I know that I can change the grade manually, but I would prefer a feature that is linked to Gradebook. Does anyone know of a way that I can grade daily classroom participation? Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @bteo10  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Have you considered making daily participation an assignment with a rubric attached to it? You can create a rubric that has a separate row for each day with criteria as straightforward as "Participated" and "Did Not Participate"--or more detailed if you choose--and you can use the SpeedGrader to add points to the assignment each day by clicking the appropriate row in the rubric, so that students' grades for the assignment will cumulatively increase with each day of participation.

View solution in original post

Hi Kristin - learning CANVAS has been painful for us on-ground folks, it seems it was built for on-line.  That said, it's our CANVAS now.  Your class contribution grading suggestion is to create 26 assignments, one for each day of class and grade each student for each class using the rubric.  I like that idea but then the grade "book" stretches so long - have you used this approach? 

24 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @bteo10  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Have you considered making daily participation an assignment with a rubric attached to it? You can create a rubric that has a separate row for each day with criteria as straightforward as "Participated" and "Did Not Participate"--or more detailed if you choose--and you can use the SpeedGrader to add points to the assignment each day by clicking the appropriate row in the rubric, so that students' grades for the assignment will cumulatively increase with each day of participation.

Hi Kristin - learning CANVAS has been painful for us on-ground folks, it seems it was built for on-line.  That said, it's our CANVAS now.  Your class contribution grading suggestion is to create 26 assignments, one for each day of class and grade each student for each class using the rubric.  I like that idea but then the grade "book" stretches so long - have you used this approach? 

Thank you for sharing this work around. Along with others, I wish that Canvas would create another option similar to the attendance in which we can grade students' participation. Let's please try to vote up a request for this. It was an option available within Moodle.

I have the same issue regarding participation. I wish there was an additional (or same) seating chart to use for participation points, that way you can tap on a student  - 1 tap, 1 point. I think this would create good incentive for students to participate since they could see a participation grade "real-time"

Hi friend, this so strong to get in. I am struggling to learn it. Can someone help me? I am so interested but hard to get.

Hi Stefanie I replied to the wrong post - learning CANVAS has been painful for us on-ground folks, it seems it was built for on-line.  That said, it's our CANVAS now.  Your class contribution grading suggestion is to create 26 assignments, one for each day of class and grade each student for each class using the rubric.  I like that idea but then the grade "book" stretches so long - have you used this approach? 

Sorry if I wasn't clear,  @paccioretti_tho ! My suggestion was to create a single assignment called Participation (so no stretched gradebook!) and attach to it a rubric with 26 rows, one for each day. The teacher would then update the grade for the assignment each day, thereby adding the cumulated points day by day to the single assignment. Does it make more sense now?

Stephanie - I like that ALOT.  Nice.  Badges for you.  Thank you.
While I have you.  Here's another dilemma I have.  I give combination multiple choice and essay exams.  I want students to be able to use their laptops as I have found their essays answers to be richer and deeper when they can type rather than writing it out by hand. Plus it is easier to grade - I don't have to follow arrows around pages and decipher handwriting.  However, it Quizzes (don't get me started on that) I can setup multiple choice, easy peasy.  I can also set up individual essay questions but I can't run them through TurnItIn.  I can use assignment for an essay questions because that can be run through TurnItIn, but I need to make an assignment for each essay question.  So for a 10 multiple choice and 3 essay question exam, er quiz, I need to divide it into 4 parts - part 1 - multiple choice, and parts 2 -4 each an individual assignment. Seems a bit confusing, but that's the best I have come up with.  Tell me you have a better way.  Cheers. 
New to boards - should I start another discussion for this topic?

Hi,  @paccioretti_tho ‌. You have two options for using Turnitin on quizzes. You can use a file upload question for all of the essays, or you can copy and paste the essay answers from the quiz analysis reports from Canvas. I explain these options in detail with video tutorials in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/plagiarism/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?sr=search&sear...‌. Maybe that helps? If not, let me know, and I will give it another shot!