cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendy_tomberlin
Surveyor

How to import assignments from Schoology?

Jump to solution

I exported a course in Schoology as a common cartridge file.  When I import the course into Canvas, it preserves the Modules, but the Assignments are missing links.

How can I do this successfully?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @wendy_tomberlin  -

You did not mention it in your message, but is it safe to assume that the file was exported from a system other than Canvas? I vaguely remember this happening when we converted to Canvas from a previous LMS.  First off, have you checked the pages in question?  Sometimes you will get error messages, but for the end user there is seemingly nothing wrong.  But links to a file attachment on an assignment, for example, will often come up broken because a previous LMS will set a unique file path to the attachment within its own system that Canvas will not recognize.

Before you get overburdened, however, definitely check the "Student View" in Canvas on the assignments in question to be sure that something indeed needs fixing.  (Check here:  What is Student View? )  Assuming no one in the Community thinks of an alternative solution, you may have to re-establish the links "manually."  I have found through my own experience that even the common cartridge format is never going to be 100% perfect with every LMS and its unique idiosyncrasies.  It's a start--but not a finish.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @wendy_tomberlin  -

You did not mention it in your message, but is it safe to assume that the file was exported from a system other than Canvas? I vaguely remember this happening when we converted to Canvas from a previous LMS.  First off, have you checked the pages in question?  Sometimes you will get error messages, but for the end user there is seemingly nothing wrong.  But links to a file attachment on an assignment, for example, will often come up broken because a previous LMS will set a unique file path to the attachment within its own system that Canvas will not recognize.

Before you get overburdened, however, definitely check the "Student View" in Canvas on the assignments in question to be sure that something indeed needs fixing.  (Check here:  What is Student View? )  Assuming no one in the Community thinks of an alternative solution, you may have to re-establish the links "manually."  I have found through my own experience that even the common cartridge format is never going to be 100% perfect with every LMS and its unique idiosyncrasies.  It's a start--but not a finish.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @wendy_tomberlin ! It's been awhile since we heard from you.  Did the response from  @kblack  resolve your issue? Were you able to find a solution? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; however it will not prevent you or others from responding. If Ken's solution did the trick, please mark his answer as "Correct." Thanks!