cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cserritella
Community Member

How to import quizzes from Moodle (2.7/2.x) into Canvas?

I am using Moodle 2.7 (2.x) and I need to import quiz questions into Canvas.  I have exported the Moodle file to three different versions (GIF, XML and XHTML) QTI is not available on my version of Moodle for export.  When I went to import the XML version, there were no questions (empty file). Te other two versions failed to upload. As I read through Canvas support, help discussions, etc... I saw that there had been some issues with Moodle 2.x.  Also, I downloaded Respondus 4.0 and tried to convert the Moodle file to QTI. Again...no questions in the file (I guess it is because I could not export it in the first place).

Here is the thing. I can import from Examview, but in each of my test banks (on Moodle), I have over 100 questions per test/quiz of which only a SMALL part came from Examview. I had to rewrite all my tests on Moodle when we switched to the Moodle LMS from a different Moodle platform (i don't know what it was, but it was still Moodle) because there were so many problems uploading Examview in to Moodle 2.7.  I have tried reversing the process...importing Moodle quiz into Examview then into Canvas...no soap.  After two days of experimenting, google searches, discussions reading and youtube videos, I have hit the wall. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here? I do not want to spend the rest of my summer rewriting my tests (again) into Examview. 

Thanks

Christy

cserritella@sandi.net

16 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cserritella , I haven't actually done this, so I'm hoping it will be helpful: Have you tried creating an export of your entire Moodle course  as a .zip file, and then importing only selected content--in your case, only the quizzes and question banks, if that's all you need--using the instructions in How do I import content from Moodle into Canvas? I'm also sharing this with the LMS & Migrations group, and have added a few tags to the question, to increase its visibility in search results.

Yes. I have tried to export Moodle in all the formats available. However, zip is not one of those option. I have tried to convert them into zip files, but that doesn't seem to work

Sent from my iPad

tiffany_morgan
Surveyor

I no longer have access to my Moodle installation to test this, but as I recall we had to do a backup of the whole as an IMS common cartridge export and then import that into canvas. Also, if I remember correctly, there were a few question times that had issues making the transfer (I want to say it was matching). We were on 2.6 when we did this transfer.

Good luck!

@tiffany_morgan ​, that was the approach I was conjecturing, except that in my ignorance about Moodle I mentioned a .zip file because I didn't realize that .imscc imports of Moodle courses might be an option. If they are, so much the better.  @cserritella , see if this suggestion works for you!

We (ok me Smiley Happy) struggled with this too when we made the switch from Moodle to Canvas. Within/Between Moodle instances zip backups are the easiest (IMO) and usually the most common way to move things. When making the switch to a new LMS it is hard habit to relearn that imscc is the more portable way to do this.

..I was just excited that I could finally try to provide an answer in my new LMS community! Smiley Happy

Hi Tiffany,

I created a backup of my Moodle course (The only thing I use Moodle for is to give tests/quizzes). Unfortunately, everything did not get move into import into canvas. The group-section titles and test titles came over, but no test questions. They are empty in canavas. Smiley Sad

Christy

Sent from my iPad

natalie_norton1
Community Member

We have encountered a lot of problems transferring quizzes from Moodle 2 into Canvas.  Simple quizzes have come over ok as part of the backup .mbz file, but some with question banks and certain functionality have been more problematic and we are still trying to find a solution.   Instructure recommended importing into Respondus, which can then export as a qti and then import this into Canvas but we did not have much luck with this either.

Some staff also require functionality which is not in canvas quizzes, so we are currently trying to find a way forward, ideally which does not involve purchasing additional software, or staff having to rebuild from scratch. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cserritella ​,  @natalie_norton1 ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

b_lapham
Community Member

A note: Moodle backup files are given the .mbz suffix but they are actually .zip. You can rename the suffix .mbz -> .zip and open it with an unzipper.

I did a bit of experimentation transferring from Moodle to Canvas and had mixed success. I found that a .mbz of the entire course (vs just picking individual quizzes from within a course) was most successful. imscc was less successful, ie quizzes missing.

We're experiencing issues with questions coming into Canvas in reverse order, so that Q10 in Moodle is Q1 in Canvas, and I'm still trying to work out why some question feedback is coming in and some is not.