cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egv1
Surveyor

How to join group from phone app

Jump to solution

As a teacher, I created groups and allowed self-signup. I know students can sign up using a browser from People->Groups. However, most of my students use the phone app exclusively and the group tab isn't part of "People". Anyone know if this can be done (and how) using the phone app?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @egv1 ~ 

I teach in a 1:1 setting in which students have iPads. I wish that there was an easier way to have students select their groups from their devices. Even with the People tab enabled, the group option is not there. However, they can see their group memberships alongside their course enrollments (How do I view Courses and Groups in the Canvas Student app on my iOS device?)

I have my students use a mobile browser to join a group

This sounds like a great Feature Idea for Canvas Studio. (How do I create a new feature idea?‌) If you create an idea, please share it here. It will help others find the idea if they have a similar question as you!

View solution in original post

ryans
Community Member

@bec_plumbe ‌ and  @egv1 ‌ - Feel free to start a discussion in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug?sr=search&searchId=27634e94-611f-41d9-926a-5770f1e356d3&...‌ to figure out the details, if that would be helpful. Sometimes that helps the official feature idea be more complete! Let  @rseilham or  @klundstrum know if you'd like some assistance. Mobile On!

5 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @egv1 ~ 

I teach in a 1:1 setting in which students have iPads. I wish that there was an easier way to have students select their groups from their devices. Even with the People tab enabled, the group option is not there. However, they can see their group memberships alongside their course enrollments (How do I view Courses and Groups in the Canvas Student app on my iOS device?)

I have my students use a mobile browser to join a group

This sounds like a great Feature Idea for Canvas Studio. (How do I create a new feature idea?‌) If you create an idea, please share it here. It will help others find the idea if they have a similar question as you!

If you post this as a feature idea, I'll certainly vote for it!

ryans
Community Member

@bec_plumbe ‌ and  @egv1 ‌ - Feel free to start a discussion in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug?sr=search&searchId=27634e94-611f-41d9-926a-5770f1e356d3&...‌ to figure out the details, if that would be helpful. Sometimes that helps the official feature idea be more complete! Let  @rseilham or  @klundstrum know if you'd like some assistance. Mobile On!

cohenf
Learner II

Yep. I just noticed the same problem. Very much need the "Group" under "People" to be visible and usable in the phone app like it is on the desktop or mobile website. Has anyone posted this as an "Idea" for an added feature in the phone app? Please let me know. Thanks. -Frank

deppeler
Surveyor

Yes, I am finding it quite hard to inform students of their group membership and they seem to not be able to find it either. I have given them a link to the document to view the Groups in the App.  But, it would be good if they could see and contact their group members from their too.