cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to keep students from accessing closed quiz?

Jump to solution

How to prevent a student from taking a quiz after the "closed" date?

I'm using "new quizzes", for weekly self-quiz assignments, scored for completion. 

I set my "due date" as the date when the student should take a weekly quiz, and I allow them to take the quiz any time up until the "closed date" (the "access until" date). After the quizzes are closed, I change all positive scores to the maximum, and all untaken quizzes to zero. However, a student recently managed to access the quizzes after the "closed" date, changing their "zero" scores to positive scores in gradebook. I don't know how they are accessing them - when I go into Student View, I am not able to access the quizzes. 

When I go into "Moderate", I can see that they made one attempt, and that it was a full two days after the quiz was closed. What is the point of a closed quiz if it is accessible after the closed date?

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a fix? Thank you! ~D

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

debrahansen@utexas.edu, this isn't the way Quizzes should be functioning so my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support and see if they can help. To do this, click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem.

Kona

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

debrahansen@utexas.edu,

The Due Date is one of three dates available for quizzes and it is not the one that determines when the quiz closes to the students. Think of it as a soft due date and Canvas allows students to complete the quiz after it.

If you want to stop students from completing the quiz after a certain date, then you need to use the "available until" field. This is a hard date that students may not attempt the quiz after. If a student is in the middle of a quiz when this date happens, it will automatically submit the quiz for them.

When I set up my quizzes, I am sure to set up both the due date and the available until date. I make them the same, but some people use the soft due date and the automatic missing policy to give students a gentle nudge. For example, I might setup my course to have a due date of 11:59 pm on Wednesday and an available until date of 11:59 pm on Thursday. My late policy automatically assigns a 0 as soon as the due date passes, so students would get a 0, which would remind them to go complete the quiz. That would save me some emails asking "I forgot, is there anyway I can go in and take the quiz?" but I don't do it that way because I don't want students completing the quiz after the due date.

For additional information, please see the document that Kona Jones as created: Quiz Settings to Maximize Security.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. As I originally stated, I set up both a "due date" and an "available until" date. Students see when it is appropriate for them to do the quiz (the due date), but they are allowed to do it up until the "available until" date. The issue is that a student has been able to access the quizzes after the "available until" date, ostensibly after the quiz is closed. It seems that there is a leak in the system, and I want to know how to patch it, or avoid it altogether. ~D

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sorry, I missed that part of it. Sometimes our brain reads what we're familiar with instead of what the person actually wrote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

debrahansen@utexas.edu, this isn't the way Quizzes should be functioning so my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support and see if they can help. To do this, click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem.

Kona

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels