cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How to let students see the feedback for each question in quiz

Jump to solution

Howdy. This may have been answered in the past, but so far I've not found an question/answer that exactly mirrors my situation, so please bear with me!

I created a short quiz earlier this year with the goal of providing separate feedback for each individual question. Using Speedgrader, I added comments for each question in the textbox below each one.  This is an example of how I added comments for  a specific question:

261328_00.jpg

After about 1/3 of the students had completed the quiz, I discovered that they were unable to see these comments due to a setting that I had apparently not set correctly.

After consulting with our local Canvas support they suggested that I uncheck the "Only After Their Last Attempt" box in the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" section. I did that, and our support person tested it in Student View and said that students would now be able to see each of my responses. I then had to email each student and encourage them to go back and view my feedback. My feedback was the whole point of the quiz!

So if every one is following me up to this point, here are my questions.

First, is this the correct method to assure that students will be able to view my feedback?

Secondly, it seems to me that I should also check the box "Let Students See The Correct Answers."

I am appending some screenshots below to illustrate what I am referring to.

As always, thanks in advance for any guidance from the awesome folks here!

These were my initial settings.

These were my intial settings.

This is how our local Canvas support suggested I modify it

261326_02.jpg

I am wondering if this need to be checked as well

261327_03.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sclancy@uci.edu, I thought I would try this out in mysandbox and see what happens.  Here is what I found.  If I set up my quiz (one essay question), like this

261322_pastedImage_1.png

261362_pastedImage_5.png

A‌nd leave comments in the Additional Comments box of Speedgrader, after the first attempt the student could not see any of my comments.  After a first submission, this is visible to my test student

261359_pastedImage_2.png

After the second submission, this is visible to students

261360_pastedImage_3.png

So it looks as though if you indicate that students can see the quiz response after the last attempt, the additional comments box should be visible after the second attempt.  Do you know that the 1/3 students who could not see your additional comments had used all of their attempts?

I believe that the "let students see the correct answers" relates to questions like M/C that have "correct" answers indicated.

I hope this helps!  There are many more experienced folks in the Community than I so perhaps someone else will have some insight . . . for both of us!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sclancy@uci.edu, I thought I would try this out in mysandbox and see what happens.  Here is what I found.  If I set up my quiz (one essay question), like this

261322_pastedImage_1.png

261362_pastedImage_5.png

A‌nd leave comments in the Additional Comments box of Speedgrader, after the first attempt the student could not see any of my comments.  After a first submission, this is visible to my test student

261359_pastedImage_2.png

After the second submission, this is visible to students

261360_pastedImage_3.png

So it looks as though if you indicate that students can see the quiz response after the last attempt, the additional comments box should be visible after the second attempt.  Do you know that the 1/3 students who could not see your additional comments had used all of their attempts?

I believe that the "let students see the correct answers" relates to questions like M/C that have "correct" answers indicated.

I hope this helps!  There are many more experienced folks in the Community than I so perhaps someone else will have some insight . . . for both of us!

View solution in original post

Community Coach
Community Coach

sclancy@uci.edu‌, for your settings it depends on what you want students to be able to see or not see. If you want them to see the feedback after the first attempt then you need to allow them to see their responses, but don’t have the after last attempt checked. If you also want them to see which answers are the correct ones then yes, go ahead and check that box. What Canvas does if you don’t check that box to show the correct answers is show students what they entered/selected for the answer to each question and if they got the question wrong. It doesn’t show or provide them with the correct answer. 

For more info/details on this I’d recommend checking out the following document - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3313-quiz-settings-to-maximize-security?sr=search&searchId=...

Community Member

Hi, ericwerth and kona@richland.edu!

Thank you both for your replies. Very Helpful.  The tutorial at Quiz Settings to Maximize Security also helped me to figure out the consequences of each setting.

I think that I made two mistakes in my initial set-up (due to my newbie status with Canvas). I had allowed two attempts for the test, but then had checked the options for "Let Students see the Correct Answers...Only after their last attempt."

I had created two types of Quizzes: a multiple choice quiz which was automatically graded, and a shorter quiz that I graded providing feedback for each question. The goal for both was education, and not a grade.

For each of the questions in the multiple choice quiz, each correct and incorrect answer had text to be displayed explaining why the answer was correct or incorrect.  For the second, I had to option to provide personal feedback for each question.

In each case, the setting I chose prevented the students from seeing either unless they opted to take the quiz a second time. So, if I am understanding how this actually works, I believe that the screenshot below represents the settings that will allow me to accomplish both:

Allow Students to see quiz answers and instructor feedback

However, one thing that I am still a bit uncertain about, is how to get students to go back to the quiz that I manually graded to see my feedback for each question. Any guidance there?

Good question sclancy@uci.edu!  Getting students to review feedback on assessments, be they tests or papers can be difficult and frustrating.  I hear all the time from faculty who provide detailed comments to students, and then the next assignment (even the next draft) it is as if the students never read the feedback.  It would be wonderful to get some ideas from those in the community about how this could be addressed.

I will continue to brainstorm, but what initially came to mind was to somehow provide students extra credit for reading and addressing your comments.  It seems that often the only way to get students to do something is to associate a point value to the activity (or provide free food!).  If your comments were of a particular type, such as "This is close but you have the steps slightly out of order.  Review Chapter 5 for information on the correct sequence.", then maybe you could provide a few bonus points for students to go back and for each question missed provide corrections. 

For m/c questions, you could prevent students from seeing the correct answers immediately.  They would know what is right/wrong but need to go back and indicate what the correct answer is and where they found the answer to qualify for bonus points.  If you are not a fan of extra credit, this could be a separate complete/incomplete assignment.  If the student studies ahead of time and gets everything correct, their reward is not having to make corrections.

This is just a thought, but fun to consider.  I'll continue to think and post more ideas if they come up!

Thanks, all good ideas. I will think about incorporating some of this into the assignment next year!

And I just want to say, for everyone's benefit, how refreshing it is to communicate via an online forum that is free of trolling, sarcastic and hurtful comments, and is a generally friendly and productive atmosphere free of tiresome political rhetoric.  I'm new here, and feel like I've stumbled onto a real gem!

Steve:

So happy to hear all of that!

We try! Although sometimes a bit of curmudgeonly sarcasm might be seen creeping into some of my postings.

Kelley

It is a great Community Steve.  I've learned an incredible amount from everyone, and there are tons of resources.  Glad to have you here!

Eric

Surveyor

jwaldvogel@y115.org‌, this is what I was working on with Reggie today at YMS.

Community Member

Hello,if I refer back to your original question - if you enter feedback specific to each answer option - is it possible for this feedback to be displayed even if the learner does not select it?

I have spoken to canvas support and they say no. This is a pity. Displaying answer specific feedback is very helpful to students if the question is a task that requires fine discrimination. Feedback is very useful for coaching learners and Canvas misses an opportunity here.