cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to make a quiz extra credit or change its point value

How can I make a quiz as extra credit? I tried to change the point value to 0, but it wouldn't let me as it had already been synced and published.  I was able to change the points on a discussion post, but it won't work for a quiz.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

carrahli@collierschools.com 

There are several workarounds that people have given to accomplish this. Workarounds are necessary because Canvas does not support it directly.

My favorite explanation fixes a lot of related issues, but it too is a workaround. Here is the simplified version of it.

It involves creating a separate assignment that does not allow submissions. For extra credit make it worth 0 points. For reducing the point value on a quiz, make it what you want the quiz to be worth. Transfer the bonus points or the new score into this assignment.

If you want to reduce the points or make the entire quiz extra credit, then create an assignment group worth 0% of the grade and put the old quiz into that assignment group. That eliminates the old quiz while keeping the results so you can see them and putting the score into the new assignment allows you to do whatever you want to do with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

The only way that I have been able to easily make quizzes extra credit to make the percentages for the Assignment Weightings for the different Assignment Types equal to more than 100%.  I have to be careful in how I group the different assignments together, as Canvas gives its total grades as a weighted average of the averages of each assignment type.  So extra credit quizzes, that all provide the same amount of points to the final grade go into one assignment type.  Other assignments, like an extra credit observation project, go into another assignment type, each of my exams provides a different quantity of points to the final grade, so they each have their own assignment type.  The total weightings of all my assignments adds up to 138%, so I provide an additional 38% of possible points that students can pursue if they do poorly on the regular quizzes. 

Finally, in the Modules, I set the exams to be in their own module and have rules that ensure that they must do the exam otherwise they can't proceed forward, where the extra credit quizzes have no such rule associated with them, hence they can choose to do it or not, thus it becomes "extra".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

I did everything you did, except for the sync'ing, and it worked for me. So next time, don't sync it. 8-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Okay good and good luck with it!

0 Kudos
Labels