cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How to make discussions and announcements indicate that I posted them

Jump to solution

Hi there, I'm in my second semester of teaching several online classes with Canvas. I am prepping my fall courses, which were copied from my summer courses. I see that none of my announcements or discussion posts indicate that I posted them. They don't have my name or photo. I noticed this when all my classes were originally copied from D2L for summer, so I reposted everything fresh to correct the problem. I assumed it would all stick after posting the first time. But in my fall courses, I am back to the same problem. Will this continue to happen every semester, in which case I should give up and get used to not being indicated as the poster, or is there something different to be done when copying from semester to semester? Thank you so much for any and all advice!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

amanda.mahaffey@colorado.edu, greetings and welcome to the Canvas Community! It is by design that this information is stripped out of Canvas any time you copy the course into a new course. It was done to help teachers who have Instructional Designers build or help to build their course, or for people who want to share content with other people. This way the student isn't confused and wondering who the strange person is who wrote their discussion prompt or announcement.

So yes, this will continue to happen each semester, and no, there isn't a way around it other than recreating the content. 

Kona

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

amanda.mahaffey@colorado.edu, greetings and welcome to the Canvas Community! It is by design that this information is stripped out of Canvas any time you copy the course into a new course. It was done to help teachers who have Instructional Designers build or help to build their course, or for people who want to share content with other people. This way the student isn't confused and wondering who the strange person is who wrote their discussion prompt or announcement.

So yes, this will continue to happen each semester, and no, there isn't a way around it other than recreating the content. 

Kona

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for helping me to understand this Kona! At least now I can move on knowing it's not fixable, even if disappointing. So is the norm to just get used to things not having an author? Or do some people repost every semester? Any consensus on this?

Thanks so much!

Amanda

amanda.mahaffey@colorado.edu, my role is to work with all the faculty on my campus and as far as I'm aware none of them recreate content so their name/picture shows up on that content. So I guess, at least on my campus, the consensus is that you get use to not having your name on stuff and just hope your presence in other places in the course - so participating in the discussion, providing grading feedback, etc - helps the students get to know you and that you're the teacher. 🙂

Kona

amanda.mahaffey@colorado.edu,

I started to reply earlier, but saw that kona@richland.edu  had already done so and so I deleted my post before I hit submit. I had also mentioned sharing courses between instructors or instructional designers so having an author (who isn't in their class) there may actually be more confusing to the students than not having one. Students don't need the author on the initial post to assume it comes from the teacher. From a student perspective, the discussion is associated with the class, not with the instructor. You don't have your profile picture show up when you create an assignment. A stronger case can be made for removing the profile picture completely than having it copy over, but Canvas allows people to have it both ways. You can recreate the assignment and get the picture if you like, but it's also just like any other assignment or quiz and the author isn't identified in the initial post when you copy it.

With your new question, you're going to find that except for a rare few, people who repost/recreate are not doing so because they want the picture there. They're doing it for other reasons like changing or improving the question or even not knowing how to copy content from one course to another except via copy/paste in the clipboard. Most people have better ways to spend their time than jumping through the hurdle to recreate an entire assignment just to get a picture of themselves that there with little benefit to the student -- and so they don't.

Thank you, James. I create all of my own content, and no one else teaches my classes, so it's a bit different for me. But I do understand your perspective, as the first time I ever taught online 13 years ago, I took over a class from someone who had put a lot of personal info in the course and I had to find it all and remove it when I discovered it at the last minute. That was fun! So I completely get it.

Thanks for your advice!

Amanda

We're actually in the same boat as far as creating content and being the only teacher for it. I often recreate the questions each semester, not because I want my photo out there, but because I'm tweaking and adjusting the questions and it's easier to just recreate than to copy the existing one and edit it.

The perspective I was sharing is one I've picked up from other people in the Community and what they see. I recognize that sometimes something makes absolutely no sense to us and even sounds stupid, but to someone else, it may be their entire experience and so what we do sounds silly to them. Some schools have instructional designers and the teacher doesn't get to touch anything content related. That notion is totally foreign to me because we don't have any instructional designers. Canvas probably saw having an instructional designer's picture and name as a bigger issue than not having the instructor's name there, so they gave a way around it. That means that some people have to go through a little more hurdle if they want something badly enough.