cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How to make institutional grading scheme as Canvas default?

Jump to solution

Hi Canvas Community,

I would like our school's default grading scheme to be the first scheme to show when an instructor enable's course grading schemes in their course rather than the Canvas default grading scheme. How can I replace our institutional grading scheme as Canvas default grading scheme ?

Any idea? Any help you could provide will be helpful.

Thanks

Pragna Gusani

Macomb Community College

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

gusanip@macomb.edu​,

You will need to use the Grading Standards API:

Grading Standards - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

This is actually something we do when we load courses from our SIS (Banner) to Canvas for each semester.  After the courses are loaded, we have a process that calls the API, turns on the Grading Scheme and sets it to our institution grading scheme.

Robbie

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

gusanip@macomb.edu​,

You will need to use the Grading Standards API:

Grading Standards - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

This is actually something we do when we load courses from our SIS (Banner) to Canvas for each semester.  After the courses are loaded, we have a process that calls the API, turns on the Grading Scheme and sets it to our institution grading scheme.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Robbie. This is great. I will post more questions if I have any after reviewing this document.

-Pragna:)

Highlighted

rogrant@nmsu.edu‌ to turn on the grading scheme after courses are loaded from your SIS, are you iterating through the courses you just created and calling the Courses API to set the grading_standard_id for each one individually? You mentioned the Grading Standards API, but I think that only creates the grading scheme. Once the scheme is created, it seems like the Courses API is needed to actually enable it.

Also, how do you make sure the process only enables your institutional grading scheme in brand new courses, to avoid overriding any custom schemes your instructors set up later?

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels