How to make "New Activity" disappear from dashboard section

Jump to solution
ngarcia106
Community Novice

When you click on the dashboard, it lists upcoming activities like a to-do list as well as previous items. I've opened and viewed all items, but when I click on the "new activity" on the upper left, it shows items with a red circle next to past items as if I haven't viewed them. Is there a way to get the red bullets to disappear so that older tasks don't appear as "new activity"?

1 Solution
dsoussan
Community Member

I was having the same issue and I found a solution that worked for me once. Maybe it will for you, too. When there is a red dot next to an item on the dashboard, it isn't sufficient to just view the entry in the dashboard. There is something *inside the course* that is marked as red, too.

I'll try it again with the second of my 3 red dots, making screenshots along the way.

Starting point:

dsoussan_0-1600445801161.png

Today is 9/18/2020, so this is "new activity" from a month ago that won't clear.

I click on the name of the course, "Computer Hardware Lab" and unfortunately nothing useful is shown. So I have to click around the categories in the course to find something pending. (There may be a faster way, but I only just now figured this out.)

dsoussan_1-1600446024550.png

There was nothing interesting in Home, Announcements, Syllabus, or Modules. In Discussions I saw red:

dsoussan_2-1600446131534.png

I clicked into the discussion and hovered over each of the red-dotted discussion entries to clear the red dots in each discussion item.

dsoussan_3-1600446339436.png

Hmm, still a red dot next to the whole section. Maybe click the Q&A?

dsoussan_4-1600446429743.png

Yes, that did it. Now let's check the dashboard.

dsoussan_5-1600446489925.png

I still have that "New Activity" tag, but there were two red-dotted courses up above and I only worked on one. Let's check it.

dsoussan_6-1600446568596.png

Success! I cleared the second one. I hope you find this helpful.

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Likes