cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How to make "New Activity" disappear from dashboard section

Jump to solution

When you click on the dashboard, it lists upcoming activities like a to-do list as well as previous items. I've opened and viewed all items, but when I click on the "new activity" on the upper left, it shows items with a red circle next to past items as if I haven't viewed them. Is there a way to get the red bullets to disappear so that older tasks don't appear as "new activity"?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor

I was having the same issue and I found a solution that worked for me once. Maybe it will for you, too. When there is a red dot next to an item on the dashboard, it isn't sufficient to just view the entry in the dashboard. There is something *inside the course* that is marked as red, too.

I'll try it again with the second of my 3 red dots, making screenshots along the way.

Starting point:

dsoussan_0-1600445801161.png

Today is 9/18/2020, so this is "new activity" from a month ago that won't clear.

I click on the name of the course, "Computer Hardware Lab" and unfortunately nothing useful is shown. So I have to click around the categories in the course to find something pending. (There may be a faster way, but I only just now figured this out.)

dsoussan_1-1600446024550.png

There was nothing interesting in Home, Announcements, Syllabus, or Modules. In Discussions I saw red:

dsoussan_2-1600446131534.png

I clicked into the discussion and hovered over each of the red-dotted discussion entries to clear the red dots in each discussion item.

dsoussan_3-1600446339436.png

Hmm, still a red dot next to the whole section. Maybe click the Q&A?

dsoussan_4-1600446429743.png

Yes, that did it. Now let's check the dashboard.

dsoussan_5-1600446489925.png

I still have that "New Activity" tag, but there were two red-dotted courses up above and I only worked on one. Let's check it.

dsoussan_6-1600446568596.png

Success! I cleared the second one. I hope you find this helpful.

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌ I am sorry I meant to reply to you but accidentally replied to Nicole. If you could look at my reply to help that would be great. Thank you

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌ I have been having the same issues as Nicole. After looking through all the settings and guides I can't seem to find an option to remove past "New Activity" on the Dashboard List View. When looking at dashboard from List View any new activity will have a red dot next to the "new activity"(see jpgs listed). However, even after clicking on it and viewing it, the new activity marks will still be there. Looking for a solution to rid of "New Activity" banner and notification. Attached are some pictures to help. Thank you

- Justin Hartley

352906_pastedImage_3.png

As seen above red dot indicates some of the new activity and will not be cleared even after looking at it.

352973_pastedImage_4.png

Also after looking through notification settings and clearing to do list this still pop up.

I'm having the same issue. I've opened the assignments with "New activity" and viewed all of their parts, but the indicator still is not removed. I've also looked through the Canvas documentation (including all the links that @Bobby2 posted) and still could not find a solution.

Community Coach
Community Coach

I do apologise @Samasaur @ngarcia106 @justinallenhart I had not been notified of your replies until just now.

You really have me stumped. Is it still an issue if you have the Dashboard set to Card view? 

May I suggest that you contact Canvas Support about this. Here's how.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-an-instructor/t... 

Sing out if you need a hand with that. I wish I could have been more help. 

No worries, thanks for trying. I've submitted a ticket, but @ngarcia106 @justinallenhart if you are still affected by this problem, you should submit similar tickets so that the issue is prioritized.

Surveyor

I was having the same issue and I found a solution that worked for me once. Maybe it will for you, too. When there is a red dot next to an item on the dashboard, it isn't sufficient to just view the entry in the dashboard. There is something *inside the course* that is marked as red, too.

I'll try it again with the second of my 3 red dots, making screenshots along the way.

Starting point:

dsoussan_0-1600445801161.png

Today is 9/18/2020, so this is "new activity" from a month ago that won't clear.

I click on the name of the course, "Computer Hardware Lab" and unfortunately nothing useful is shown. So I have to click around the categories in the course to find something pending. (There may be a faster way, but I only just now figured this out.)

dsoussan_1-1600446024550.png

There was nothing interesting in Home, Announcements, Syllabus, or Modules. In Discussions I saw red:

dsoussan_2-1600446131534.png

I clicked into the discussion and hovered over each of the red-dotted discussion entries to clear the red dots in each discussion item.

dsoussan_3-1600446339436.png

Hmm, still a red dot next to the whole section. Maybe click the Q&A?

dsoussan_4-1600446429743.png

Yes, that did it. Now let's check the dashboard.

dsoussan_5-1600446489925.png

I still have that "New Activity" tag, but there were two red-dotted courses up above and I only worked on one. Let's check it.

dsoussan_6-1600446568596.png

Success! I cleared the second one. I hope you find this helpful.

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Surveyor

Who can help me with making the red dots enabled? They no longer appear under my announcements or assignments icon under my course?