cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to override individual total in Gradebook?

Jump to solution

I have looked at Instructor guides and various questions to the community on how I might do this but have drawn a blank 

Issue:  Where we have students do a resit exam - irrespective of what they may have got for an essay and resit exam -their overall grade (total) can only be 50%. 

In our example there are 2 weighted grades used (3: essay + 1: resit exam score)  to make up 2: total 

gradebook view

We want them to see what they got for the essay (3) and resit (2) but only see what final grade they are entitled to because had to resit. i.e. need total to be 50 not 55.8 in example 

It is not possible to manually enter a different grade in total column and we do not want to 'fiddle' the grades for 1 and 3

Canvas Support suggested we 'fudge' the grades but this is only possible with quizzes (our test in the example scores but is not part of total score) so the solution here  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2990  does not work for us

Anyone got a workaround???

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

vrs07nl‌ if you have not yet read my post, please take a minute to have a look:

The post will walk you through how to adjust the final grade.  The use case that drove my solution was to allow an instructor to drop final grades by one or more letter grades.  However, if you want to deduct a specific number of percentage points to make the grade equal exactly 50%, all you have to do is adjust the math according to your scale.

The big advantage to this approach, in my opinion, is that it allows the instructor to leave a comment on the override to clearly explain to the student why their grade has been adjusted.

If you have read the post and still have questions let me know.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'll admit that I might be understanding exactly what you are trying to do, but is there a reason you can't put the grades that you want to only be as much as 50% into an Assignment Group where the weight is 50%? That way it wouldn't matter what the student gets their grade will only count up to 50% of their grade. If this is missing the point, could you please provide more information on how grades/the gradebook is currently calculating student grades.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Kona

If I understand you correclty  what you are suggesting (making weighting 50%) is not possilbe as the weighting for all is essay 40% and exam 60% ... but maybe that is not what you are suggesting ...

I think for now our only solution is to make note in notes column and emaill studens from gradecentre so have record on course that what they see in total column is not final grade due to fact resits and that only entitled to 50% ( which is what is recorded in the official student records system)

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

If I'm understanding you correctly, all essay's are worth 40% of the total course grade, but if the student has to take the resit exam you said they can only get 50%. So my question is 50% of what? That's why I was trying to figure out your overall grading scheme for the course and where the resit exam fit into the overall course grade.

Highlighted
Community Member

basically - if there is a resit - past grades and weightings ignored - they can only get 50 % for whole module even if resit they got 65% that is why we want them to see what got and what actually entitled to because a resit 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello vrs07nl‌...

I thought I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since March 6th.  It looks like you and kona@richland.edu‌ have been working your way through your initial question.  Did one of her above responses ultimately help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still have any outstanding questions related to this topic, please post them below.  Or, if you have come up with a solution on your own that you would be willing to share back here, that would be great, too.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Nicola.

Highlighted

sadly no solution or work around found 

as cannot override in way wanted - would be good if could have added an additional column so can message students who need to be advised of grade cap so in gradecentre as a record too  

Highlighted

i mean have a note to student column  as current notes column - can only have one and students cannot see it . This woudl ensure have transparency and audit withing grade book

Highlighted
Surveyor II

vrs07nl‌ 60 + 40 = 100 - you have defined a maximum total of 100 points for the grade.

But you say you want a maximum total of 50 points, right?

Looking at the screenshot of your gradebook, your final grade is weighted for 100%,

• TurnItIn is worth 40%
  • Exams are worth 60%

Now you have entered a grade for TurnItIn: 57

• 0.57 * 100 points for assignment = 0.57
  • 0.57 * 40 points for weight = 22.8

And a grade for exams: 55

• 0.55 * 100 points for assignment = 0.55
  • 0.55 * 60 points for weight = 33

So according to your weights, the grade is correct: 22.8 + 33 =  55.8

If you want the student to receive a maximum score of 50, you would need to adjust the weights of the assignment groups to represent a maximum of 50 possible percentage points, not 100.  For example:

• Weight for TurnItIn: 20%
  • Weight for Exams: 30%

With these weights the final grade in this example would be: 27.9

If I'm not understanding you goal, please provide more detail.