Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lopezjamie
Surveyor II

How to remove NEW "Download" Icon/link?

Hello all you genius helpers!

Time-sensitive question:

A "new" icon/link for downloading embedded documents from a Canvas Page is suddenly appearing, and I am looking urgently to discover a way to disable or eliminate this item. We have copyright protected content we want students to view, but not download. (yes: they can find other more labor0inensive ways of copying content, but we don't want to make it quite so easy).

This is the icon/link I'd like very much to make go away:

2021-03-25_13-02-03.png

We had come up with a way to hid download links and set an auto-open preview setting in HTML, but this is not working for this new icon and I can't get any info from Instructure on the source of this new "feature". Is it on their server? is there a setting in Admin we can control? No answers from instructure as of yet...

Many thanks in advance for help!

J

Labels (4)
6 Replies
sharon_kitching
Adventurer

I think you may find that these are an unintended consequence of the last update. We logged it as a bug. They seem to be showing where there are spaces at the end of links etc. I found editing links fixed it, but really I'm not going to do that for an entire institution. 

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.

I've tested that out and so far no extra characters in the link. Is there anything you could expand on in your description that might help me understand what I might be overlooking?

Many thanks!

jorge_padron
Surveyor

Super annoyed with this! Please fix it. 

Surveyor

hi

Surveyor

agree

hanzi_teo
Surveyor II

Yes, we are facing this issue as well!

What we are trying to do is to see if we can hide the icon using our Global CSS / Theme setting in our Canvas instance. Not sure if it will work but will update here if it does -fingers crossed-