cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlos_silveira
Surveyor

How to restore a course that was reset

Jump to solution

I have an instructor that says they reset a course by accident and they want to restore it, is there a way to do that?

I've looked the course up in admin tools/restore courses but there isn't an option to restore the course.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
carlos_silveira
Surveyor

It was reset, If it had been deleted it would have been easier to restore. When a course is reset it actually creates a whole new course shell with new course id in the url. Looking up the new course id is what trips you up, you have to find the original ID which I did in the provisioning report. Once I had it I went into admin tool and inputted the ID and was able to restore the course.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Carlos,

I'm afraid that if you reset a course, the content is not recoverable.  There's a warning when the instructor goes to reset the course saying "This action is irreversible, and data cannot be recovered.  Are you sure you wish to do this?".   There's also a notice at the top of the articleHow do I reset course content? 

However, resetting course content permanently removes all content and it cannot be recovered.

So, unfortunately, the instructor is out of luck.

Mike

Hi  @mzimmerman  and  @carlos_silveira 

For the most part this is correct; however, the wonderful engineers (Professional Services, I believe) at Canvas can recover the lost content. Just ask your CSM.

We had this happen many years ago, and they helped us out. We have since used some custom coding to hide that button from Faculty. Dangerous bad juju, that button is!

Kelley

Hi and Thanks.

I was actually able to restore the course once I was able to figure out what the original canvas course ID was. 

Carlos, was the course reset, or completely deleted?

Reset courses cannot be restored through the admin UI, but deleted ones can.  I suspect this course was deleted and not reset. A good trick for deleted courses is to go to the beta or test instance to identify the Canvas course ID needed to restore.

We've also hidden the "Reset" button!

How do you hid the "reset" button? Thanks.

carlos_silveira
Surveyor

It was reset, If it had been deleted it would have been easier to restore. When a course is reset it actually creates a whole new course shell with new course id in the url. Looking up the new course id is what trips you up, you have to find the original ID which I did in the provisioning report. Once I had it I went into admin tool and inputted the ID and was able to restore the course.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @carlos_silveira  Nice Work in providing a summary of what happens when a course is reset and how you found the CourseID number.  Another option for you would have been to log in to your school's "Test" or "Beta" environments:

These environments are separate from the "Production" environment that you normally log in to, and so the course would not have been deleted or reset in either of those environment.  You could easily grab the CourseID number from either of those environments.  And, if need be, you could have exported the course from either of those environments and then imported it back into your "Production" environment.

I hope this additional bit of information is helpful to you, Carlos.