How to rollover a canvas course so the set dates are updated by one year

Jump to solution
elizabeth_lloyd
Community Novice

My Year 12 canvas course has set dates from September to September the following year.

How to Rollover this course so that the dates are updated by one year ??. This seems beyond just clicking the checkbox for changing dates.

As admin at my school cant get it to happen. And when I called the CANVAS hotline about this they said our school has the 'calendar' year as our default. So September to September wont update??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Steven_S
Community Champion

If you want to recopy everything to a course that is not yet published, and what your admin copied does not include adjusted dates, you might want to begin by resetting to a blank course.  (Do not do this if students are already working in the course, it will delete their content.) The course reset button is in settings in the right-side menu.  Otherwise, you can simply delete the specific items you are going to recopy.  (This can be harder to keep track of if you have links built in between pages.

In the course you are needing to use, go to settings.  The right-side menu includes a link to import course content.  That link will send you to a page with a drop down list for content type.  Select "copy a canvas course."  All of the courses you are preparing to teach, are currently teaching, and have ever taught in canvas should be in the list.  Choose the course you want to copy content from and whether you want all content or specific content copied.  Then make sure you choose adjust events and due dates.  The dates should autofill using the beginning and ending dates from the two courses.  If they do not you can fill them in manually with the first and last day of the course in each year. 

Canvas will attempt to shift all of the dates, and if there are any issues you will see a link to the right of the upload list.  The list will include links to any pages that copied with a broken link, and the names of any assignments for which the date could not be shifted.  I find this is most commonly an issue with assignments that I previously needed to set up unique due dates for an individual student.  Even if no issues are found, go to the link validator in the right-side menu of the settings page, and run that just to make sure.  Especially when you only copy specific content, sometimes links are present that point back to the previous course, which your new students will not have access to.  In those cases, you need to recreate the link to the appropriate content in your current course. 

View solution in original post