cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to rotate image for inclusion in page?

Jump to solution

Trying to add a photo (of my own) to an assignment page. In my own folder the photo stands as a "portrait", but when I try to upload it, Canvas consistently changes it to "landscape", in other words, 90° wrong for viewing. Can't find any tools for rotating. How do I do this? Have wasted FAR too much time on this already, and given up.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jeanette,

Is this a photo you took with your phone perhaps?  I've found that sometimes phones will have images or videos even in a certain orientation when taken that display correctly on phones and certain computers, but not when uploaded to other systems.  In my own mind the image has meta data telling systems to rotate it, but not every system can read that meta data.  In other words, I think your photo really is in Landscape but your computer and/or phone knows to rotate it when being displayed.  Canvas displays it in Landscape because the photo really is in landscape.

Canvas does not have any built in ability to rotate photos so you'll likely need a program on your computer to do that.  If you open it on a computer and it's displayed correctly; try just doing a Save As to a new file and see if that displays correctly in Canvas.  If when you open it on your computer it is flipped, see if the software you have will let you rotate it and then Save.

I hope this helps some.  As I said, I don't think it's really a Canvas issue but one of how images get stored anymore in terms of "which was is up"; especially when taken with devices that can have 4 different orientations like phones.

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Jeanette,

Is this a photo you took with your phone perhaps?  I've found that sometimes phones will have images or videos even in a certain orientation when taken that display correctly on phones and certain computers, but not when uploaded to other systems.  In my own mind the image has meta data telling systems to rotate it, but not every system can read that meta data.  In other words, I think your photo really is in Landscape but your computer and/or phone knows to rotate it when being displayed.  Canvas displays it in Landscape because the photo really is in landscape.

Canvas does not have any built in ability to rotate photos so you'll likely need a program on your computer to do that.  If you open it on a computer and it's displayed correctly; try just doing a Save As to a new file and see if that displays correctly in Canvas.  If when you open it on your computer it is flipped, see if the software you have will let you rotate it and then Save.

I hope this helps some.  As I said, I don't think it's really a Canvas issue but one of how images get stored anymore in terms of "which was is up"; especially when taken with devices that can have 4 different orientations like phones.

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for trying to help. I had tried already doing more or less as you

suggested, and tried again after reading your mail, but all to no avail. I

have no programme on my computer or tab that sees this picture (which I

took with a camera) sideways, but whatever I do to it first, Canvas just

pops it in sideways anyway. Frustrating! In other environments I don't

usually have any problems working with images ...

Jeanette

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 20:35, rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu <

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jeanette Clayton

I find if I load the image into Paint then save it again - (I don't do anything to it ) when i reload it into Canvas it keeps the correct orientation.   But I also find the issue is usually with images I have taken with a phone.  
Smiley Happy