cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to rotate uploaded images?

When uploading images to a "page", sometimes the image is rotated 90 degrees. I can't find a "rotate" tool to properly orientate the image while in "page" editing mode.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hi enewma@saic.edu!  I don't believe that there is a rotate tool in the rich content editor.  I would do this by rotating the image prior to bringing it into canvas or going into the HTML editor and adding the proper coding there to rotate the image.  I hope this help!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, enewma@saic.edu Thank You for posting your question.  I would agree only with the first part of belinda.stutzman@wayzata.k12.mn.us's suggestion.  It is best to do your image manipulation outside of Canvas first, and then upload it into Canvas.  The most common instance of rotated images in Canvas I've seen is due to the orientation of a cell phone or mobile device when taking a photo.  Sometimes, it seems like the photo button to take a picture doesn't keep the orientation the way you had intended.  What I've found, at least on an iPhone, is to use one of the volume buttons on the side of the phone (as crazy as that sounds) to take a photo, and then the orientation usually is correct when uploaded into Canvas (or even if the photo is later saved to my computer's hard drive).

Regarding Belinda's suggestion of editing HTML...  I had to do some Google searching to see if this was even possible.  I'm no HTML expert, but based on the websites I found, using HTML alone isn't going to solve the issue.  The websites I found pretty much suggest that you'd need to use a combination of CSS and JavaScript to accomplish an image rotation, and I'm not even sure if that would work in a school's global CSS and JS files in the back-end admin pages of Canvas.  Here are some sites I found:

As you can see, some people do suggest ways to do this via HTML only (with one line of code), but in my own testing in a Canvas page, that code gets stripped from the RCE (Rich Content Editor) as soon as I save the page.  So, it may not  be possible without some additional help from CSS and/or JS.

I'm going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  Maybe someone with more knowledge that me will be able to figure out a way to do this.  Good luck!

Highlighted

Hello once again, enewma@saic.edu...

I thought I'd check in with you because I noted that we've not heard back from you since you first posted your question about rotating images on February 14, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you received from me and belinda.stutzman@wayzata.k12.mn.us?  If so, did either of our responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that either of our replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to one of the responses.  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let Community members know by posting a message below so that someone might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that is okay with you, Erik.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

The problem is that the image IS right-side up before uploading it. Canvas is screwing it up by rotating 270 degrees.

Highlighted

I agree with Sheila. This is an ongoing problem that must be fixed. I'm trying to embed several images into a page, and they are all displaying horizontally - landscape mode - even when the image file is originally in portrait mode.

Highlighted
Surveyor

I agree with Mirla and Shelia. Canvas Developers need to come up with an easy solution for this issue. Perhaps, there is some code to rotate the image inside the Html Editor that is already built in. I'm looking into it now. I don't want to go re-take photos using the volume button on my I phone. Canvas needs to improve. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I had this issue as well, just this morning (April 13, 2020).  The solution I found was to open the image in a photo editor, actually change the image by rotating it and then rotating it back to the correct view, saving a copy, and uploading the copy into Canvas.  Just opening it in an editor (I tried 2) and saving it without changing the image did not work.

Highlighted

Thanks, Anne. Yes, I tried rotating images in an editor, saving, then uploading, multiple times. It hasn’t worked for me. I am fairly sure this system has coded an automatic rotation feature for documents that are created in portrait mode and uploaded in portrait mode, so that all uploaded the images are displayed in landscape mode as a default. However, this does not then explain why your solution work for you. What image editor were you using, if you don’t mind my asking? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm having issues with images that are shot horizontally, getting rotated 90 degrees to be vertical, resulting in a sideways image. So it's not just an issue with Canvas trying to make images wider than tall. It seems totally random. And really annoying. Canvas continues to be a challenging platform for sharing and reviewing image-based work.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels