cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

How to set up bonus points for completing an optional survey

Jump to solution

It's a couple of weeks into the course and at this juncture, I'd like to survey the students and solicit feedback on the course so I can respond and course correct as needed.     I'd like to create an anonymous optional survey worth 3 points towards their final grade and award those 3 points to those who complete the survey.

I'm not sure how to proceed to set it up.   Since it's anonymous, I can't see who completed the survey to set up a 0 point survey and then manually override the score.     And if I set it up as a 3 point graded survey, it no longer is awarding bonus points since the scores will be 0 or 3 out of 3 depending on whether the student completed the survey.

I was able to do this easily in the old LMS but can't figure out a way to do this in Canvas.  Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Use a graded anonymous survey but put it into an extra credit assignment group/category. The link provided in the first reply shows how to make such a category. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello wong0043@umn.edu...

I'll start by saying that I do not teach in Canvas (I am an administrator for our school's Canvas environment), so I'm not 100% sure of an answer for you.  However, the first thing that popped into my mind was to give you a link to this Guide: How do I give extra credit in a course?.  Do you think that the information provided in that Guide would help to answer your question?

Thanks for your response. My problem is that the survey is anonymous so there’s no way to tell which students have completed the survey hence I can’t give them points manually. Does anyone know of a way to have Canvas tell me which students completed the survey so I can give them the bonus points? Moodle, our old LMS, had a very easy way to do this but I can’t figure out how to do this in Canvas.

I actually have this exact same question so following this thread. Hoping someone out there has some great ideas!

Use a graded anonymous survey but put it into an extra credit assignment group/category. The link provided in the first reply shows how to make such a category. 

View solution in original post