How to set up collaborations for multiple groups

Jump to solution
rwhitakerheck
Community Member

Hello Canvas Geniuses!

I have 10 students that I have paired up into 5 groups of two students (project partners) under a Group Set.  I have set up a collaborations for them to use as a "work" space for their project. How can I configure Canvas so that each group set has their own work space. Do I need to create five of the same collaboration workspaces and assign one group to each collaboration or can I assign the five different groups to the one collaboration? Each group should not be able see the work of the other groups. Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Rosalynne,

If you are making the Collaborations right in the course, you'll want to make five individual collaborations, one for each group, and only invite one group to each.  

Another way you might think about doing this is that when you create the five groups within a group set, each group gets its own "space" which I like to call a mini course within your course.  In their Group space they will have their own Collaboration link where they can create their own and they would only have the option of adding people in their group.  The link below shows a little bit about how to visit that group space for each group 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12815-how-do-i-view-content-and-student-activity-within-a-g... 

The first method is probably the easiest, but if it really is a group project the 2nd option can be nice because they can post announcements to their group member, create discussions, pages, etc in addition to just a collaborative document.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Likes