cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to update a file in Modules or All my files?

Jump to solution

How to update a file in Modules or All my files?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi hfe2@georgetown.edu , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Basically, you must download the file, make your changes in it's native app (Word, Excel, Google, etc.) then upload it back into Canvas.  You cannot edit a file directly in Canvas.  These guides should help.............

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi hfe2@georgetown.edu , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Basically, you must download the file, make your changes in it's native app (Word, Excel, Google, etc.) then upload it back into Canvas.  You cannot edit a file directly in Canvas.  These guides should help.............

Kelley

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hello! My question is I posted a file then I need to upload same file because it is updated (the syllabus for example).. so how do I that without having to delete and then upload the new/revised file? Or is that the only way?

Thank you.

Heba

Heba F. El-Shazli, Ph.D.

Adjunct Faculty

Center for Democracy & Civil Society

Georgetown University

hfe2@georgetown.edu

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi again, hfe2@georgetown.edu

Unfortunately, that is the only way.

Kelley

Highlighted
Explorer II

Hello Heba El-Shazli,

You can upload the file in the Files section of your course and when prompted to Change Name or Replace, choose Replace. That way it will replace the existing version of the file and all the places where the file was referenced will automatically be updated as well.

But you must upload into the same location where the file is and you must see the dialog box.

Dialog box to change name or replace a file.

Cheers - Shar

Highlighted
Learner II

Thank you, ishar-uw , I forgot about that relatively new ability!

Kelley