cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

How to view Programming files in Speedgrader

Before the recent Canvas update on the 2nd our Computer Science faculty were able to view student programming files in the speedgrader. Now the files just show as links that can be downloaded and since it was never officially supported in Canvas we can't rely on instructure support.

My Question:

Are there any Canvas users here that have recommendations for LTI's or anything else that would allow programming files to be viewed and possibly graded within Canvas?

5 Replies
Adventurer III

I taught a small coding seminar kind of thing a couple years ago and I used the Code Embed LTI. I just tested it in my old course to see if it still works and it does. It looks like this:

1. You install the Code Embed LTI app in the course. I found their documentation here: Code Embed Tool 
  2. Students will have a submission tab called "Code Embed"
  3. They can paste their code in and pick which language so it does syntax highlighting. Then they click "Embed this code!".
    278624_pastedImage_3.png
  4. It shows a link to the teacher in SpeedGrader and when the teacher clicks the link it renders the code in SpeedGrader.
    278566_pastedImage_1.png

Matt,

This looks great. Do you know if it allows submissions of multiple programs? One of our CS assignments has students uploading multiple files in a single submission.

It doesn't do multiple files, but students can do multiple submissions and there would be a dropdown box for each submission in the SpeedGrader. There used to be a GitHub LTI but it doesn't appear to be in the EduAppCenter anymore. Maybe now that Microsoft owns it, they'll make an LTI like they did for OneNote and Office 365.

Of course, you could have students submit a URL to their GitHub repository as a Website URL submission. The downside is that it won't render within SpeedGrader because GitHub doesn't allow iframes.

Community Coach
Community Coach

cljtech‌,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie