Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

I can't find the "unconclude this course" button

Jump to solution

Hi,

One of our faculty member told me that he suddenly cannot see a certain course on dashboard, but I can access that course with admin ID.

Furthermore, when I access that course with admin ID, I cannot add people manually.

So it seems like concluded course, but I cannot find unconclude this course button.

I attached some files, so please let me know how can I make this course available.

Sincerely,

SKKU Office assistant

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

skkgsb.canvas@skku.edu 

Go into the Settings page for the course and check the dates on the Course Details tab. All of our previous semester terms are concluded -- not because I concluded them, but because the term and dates are over. My guess is that the course is concluded, not because the instructor clicked the Conclude Course button, but because the dates are off in the course (course > Settings > Course Details), sections (course > Settings > Sections > click on section and then choose Edit Section), or terms (Admin > Terms)

Here's what it looks like when I go into a previous course (as both the teacher and a Canvas admin):

274976_pastedImage_1.png

When I go into the Course Settings option to Unconclude a course, I do not have that option.

274977_pastedImage_2.png

Now, I did not conclude this course. It was automatically concluded for me because the term was over.

274978_pastedImage_3.png

If I take a currently active course, then Canvas warns me when I try to conclude it and suggest that I manage the term dates instead. It directs me to this document in the guides: How do I change the start and end dates for a course? 

274979_pastedImage_5.png

Once I've concluded the course, it now shows up in my Past Enrollments when I go to the Courses navigation link and click on All Courses.

When I go to that course and click on the course Settings, I see the + Un-Conclude Course option in the menu

274980_pastedImage_6.png

That option is not there when the course has been concluded by the term dates.

Also, note that the instructor clicking on Conclude will remove the enrollments as noted on How do I conclude a course at the end of a term as an instructor? . So that fact that your page had users in it meant that the instructor hadn't concluded the course.

That strongly suggests that it's either the dates for the course (under Settings from the Course), the section dates, or the term settings (under Admin > Terms) that is the issue behind this.

The availability of the course is a complex thing based on some checkboxes, but at the simplest level, section dates override course dates and course dates override term dates.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

skkgsb.canvas@skku.edu,

Have you tried the instructions on this page from the Canvas Guides: How do I unconclude a course in an account? 

You might want to remove the image of the People page. The inclusion of student names doesn't add anything that the top 20% of the screen wouldn't have provided. It might disclose information about students that don't need to be given out. The United States has to be careful about FERPA violations, and even if there aren't similar privacy laws for SKKU, it's still probably not a good idea to publish information about students.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

**To protect student privacy I went in and deleted the image showing students names from the original post.**

Highlighted

Oh, Thank you for pointing it out. I made a big mistake.

And I also tried to follow the steps from your recommended link, but there is no Un-Conclude Course Button.

Highlighted

skkgsb.canvas@skku.edu 

Go into the Settings page for the course and check the dates on the Course Details tab. All of our previous semester terms are concluded -- not because I concluded them, but because the term and dates are over. My guess is that the course is concluded, not because the instructor clicked the Conclude Course button, but because the dates are off in the course (course > Settings > Course Details), sections (course > Settings > Sections > click on section and then choose Edit Section), or terms (Admin > Terms)

Here's what it looks like when I go into a previous course (as both the teacher and a Canvas admin):

274976_pastedImage_1.png

When I go into the Course Settings option to Unconclude a course, I do not have that option.

274977_pastedImage_2.png

Now, I did not conclude this course. It was automatically concluded for me because the term was over.

274978_pastedImage_3.png

If I take a currently active course, then Canvas warns me when I try to conclude it and suggest that I manage the term dates instead. It directs me to this document in the guides: How do I change the start and end dates for a course? 

274979_pastedImage_5.png

Once I've concluded the course, it now shows up in my Past Enrollments when I go to the Courses navigation link and click on All Courses.

When I go to that course and click on the course Settings, I see the + Un-Conclude Course option in the menu

274980_pastedImage_6.png

That option is not there when the course has been concluded by the term dates.

Also, note that the instructor clicking on Conclude will remove the enrollments as noted on How do I conclude a course at the end of a term as an instructor? . So that fact that your page had users in it meant that the instructor hadn't concluded the course.

That strongly suggests that it's either the dates for the course (under Settings from the Course), the section dates, or the term settings (under Admin > Terms) that is the issue behind this.

The availability of the course is a complex thing based on some checkboxes, but at the simplest level, section dates override course dates and course dates override term dates.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Wow... Thank you so much!

I was only considered the dates for the course and I missed term settings.

I just changed the term settings, and now everything works well.

Again, thank you James Jones !

Highlighted
Community Member

For anyone else who is looking at this trying to figure out why you may not have the "un-conclude" button, we found an additional reason. There is a checkbox under the dates that says, "Students can only participate in the course between these dates." If the course is concluded, this button must be checked to "un-conclude" the course.