I don't understand grading totals for my class

Jump to solution
not2wooden
Community Novice

I have one group of assignments, each with points attached. When students' points are filled in for each assignment, the row that says assignments at the end gives a score. It looks to be the score for the assignments finished. But the row that says total at the end has the same value even though all the assignments are not finished. To me it makes it look like their total for the class is a high mark even though fewer than half the assignments are finished. Under "assignemts" (the group of assignments) it doesn't seem to matter if I put 100% or don't put a value.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Janice,

If you only have one Assignment group the score for that group will match the Total for the class.  The idea is that is you have different assignment groups for like Exams, Quizzes, Homework, etc. you would be able to see grades for group which contribute to the Total.  You can even weight Assignment groups if you like, but let's leave that for now to focus on what I think is the real issue.

A blank grade is not considered when calculating Group or Total grades in Canvas.  Generally the grade is calculated by taking the points earned divided by the points possible, and a blank grade is not considered in the points possible.  To me this makes a lot of sense so that a student can see how they are doing at any point in the semester based on assignments that have been completed.  But, for that to work you do need to make sure and enter 0s for assignments that don't get turned in; otherwise it's like that assignment was not required for them. 

I hope that helps explain things a little for how they are working.

Rick 

View solution in original post