cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

I have a course that has 4 sections. How can I separate each section's discussion posts?

Jump to solution

I have a course that has 4 sections. How can I separate each section's discussion posts? Right now, all students are commenting on one discussion thread, even though they are in separate sections. Is there a way to fix this? Our four instructors don't want to have to read through every student's discussion post & comments. 

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

christina.radley 

You don't, at least not after the fact.

From the blue highlights at the top of the Canvas Guide How do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? 

Discussion topics and Pages are not affected by section limitations and can be viewed by any student. These feature areas could be restricted by creating content in course groups

One way people work around this is to use differentiated assignments. You have four different discussions and assign each one to a different section. You would need to do this before the discussion takes place, though.

This idea does keep on popping up in feature requests though. Some of these might be in cold storage and you would need to join the group before seeing the content, but there's probably enough there otherwise to get the idea.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

christina.radley 

You don't, at least not after the fact.

From the blue highlights at the top of the Canvas Guide How do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? 

Discussion topics and Pages are not affected by section limitations and can be viewed by any student. These feature areas could be restricted by creating content in course groups

One way people work around this is to use differentiated assignments. You have four different discussions and assign each one to a different section. You would need to do this before the discussion takes place, though.

This idea does keep on popping up in feature requests though. Some of these might be in cold storage and you would need to join the group before seeing the content, but there's probably enough there otherwise to get the idea.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

You could also make a group for each one of your sections. This is pretty easy to do see the video below:

Highlighted

Clong,

Trying to figure out how to message you directly or set up a call with you. 

I can be reached at 917-647-6647

Mukesh

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels