I have a list of 50 students. How do I send all of them a message at once?

Jump to solution
amtravco
Community Explorer

I have a list of 50 students (out of 340) in my Canvas course. I want to send these 50 students a message. I don't want to enter each of their names by hand into the "To" field of the Compose Message box. I have tried pasting the list in in various forms (comma delimited, etc.) but these formats are not recognized. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kona
Community Champion

Greetings! For these 50 students, is there anything special about them? For example, have they all not submitted a specific assignment, or all did poorly on an assignment? If so, then you could use the "Message Students Who" feature in the grade book to message just these students. Here is the guide that explains the different options of which students you can message like this and how to use this feature -  How do I send a message to students from the Grade... - Canvas Community.

Otherwise, if it is students in a specific grade range of your course or who have or haven't looked at specific content in your course, then you could use this functionality from Course Analytics -- 

If none of these cases fit with the 50 students you need to message, is there anything else connecting them? Same section? Same group? Need to sign-up for a group? If not, then the only way to message them is to individually select them from the Inbox message (start typing their name and it should show up). OR, if you have their school email address, you could message them through your school email.

Hope some of these ideas help! Kona

View solution in original post