Community Member

I want to make sure my camera is working for a test

Jump to solution

Check camera is working with lockdown browser

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hello lhaag@my.bridgeport.edu Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community! I'm not sure if you necessarily intended your post to go here rather than to someone at your institution, but in any event I may be able to help. Although we do not use the Lockdown Monitor (as the system with the camera is called) at my institution, we do use the Lockdown Browser.  The Respondus company that makes the software has posted an overview for students of both systems here: Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser for Students - YouTube  .  As the video points out, you WILL have the opportunity to ensure that your camera is working properly before committing to the online test.  In fact, the software pretty much requires that you pass through that pre-test check before starting it.  

All that said, at the risk of perhaps upsetting your instructor a bit, you might just want to recommend that he/she post a practice test worth 0 points first with the same settings enabled just to ensure that all students are able to use everything properly.  In fact, the importance of a "practice exam" is mentioned here on the Respondus web site, so I don't think I'm giving away any "state secrets"!

Generally, however, it is relatively safe to say that if your camera is working otherwise, it should work just fine with the Lockdown Browser/Monitor system.  You may want to check your camera with some other software just to be sure....perhaps with SkypeFacebook, or whatever software may have come with the computer or camera itself.

I hope this helps a bit, Leslie.  (And good luck on the test!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Community Member

Hello lhaag@my.bridgeport.edu Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community! I'm not sure if you necessarily intended your post to go here rather than to someone at your institution, but in any event I may be able to help. Although we do not use the Lockdown Monitor (as the system with the camera is called) at my institution, we do use the Lockdown Browser.  The Respondus company that makes the software has posted an overview for students of both systems here: Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser for Students - YouTube  .  As the video points out, you WILL have the opportunity to ensure that your camera is working properly before committing to the online test.  In fact, the software pretty much requires that you pass through that pre-test check before starting it.  

All that said, at the risk of perhaps upsetting your instructor a bit, you might just want to recommend that he/she post a practice test worth 0 points first with the same settings enabled just to ensure that all students are able to use everything properly.  In fact, the importance of a "practice exam" is mentioned here on the Respondus web site, so I don't think I'm giving away any "state secrets"!

Generally, however, it is relatively safe to say that if your camera is working otherwise, it should work just fine with the Lockdown Browser/Monitor system.  You may want to check your camera with some other software just to be sure....perhaps with SkypeFacebook, or whatever software may have come with the computer or camera itself.

I hope this helps a bit, Leslie.  (And good luck on the test!)

View solution in original post