cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtmiller1
Community Member

I want to use Canvas with a different browser called Vivaldi...

I know it's not a "supported browser", but can I use a plug in or get permission for it?

16 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gtmiller1 ​...

I've never heard of the Vivaldi web browser before, so I can't speak to what features it may or may not have.  As you've mentioned, Vivaldi is not a supported browser listed on Which browsers does Canvas support?.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "can I use a plug in or get permission for it".  My opinion is to stay with a browser that works...either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.  If you use an unsupported browser, the chances of things not working right in Canvas could possibly be greater.

Vivaldi is a reborn Opera. There is probably a way to specify a user-agent and trick Canvas into thinking it's Firefox or Chrome. Ultimately, though, it's not supported, which means that Canvas doesn't test with it or guarantee that it will work or put time and money into making it work when there is a problem.

The chance of getting permission for it at this point is close to 0. It needs to establish itself in the market before it makes sense for Canvas to commit resources to officially support it.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Interesting!  Thanks for the info, James!  Had no idea that Opera was related to Vivaldi.  Learned something new today.  🙂

That Vivaldi-Opera connection is interesting to know,  @James ​.  @gtmiller1 ​, although Opera is not one of Canvas's officially-supported browsers, I've had great success accessing Canvas through Opera (I use it strictly for testing purposes). I hope you have a similarly successful experience with Vivaldi.

Thanks, Stefanie. How do you access Canvas through Opera? I'm getting an error message from my browser that prevents me from accessing the login screen. Every other site I visit has no problems. I'm trying to troubleshoot the issue.

@gtmiller1 ​, I can't speak to that, because I've never experienced an issue logging into Canvas with Opera. I just tried again on Opera 36.0.2130.65 (Windows 10) and was able to access Canvas and navigate around through my courses with no problem. I think  @James ​'s troubleshooting tips are on the right track.

gtmiller1
Community Member

Thanks James. I've been working with Vivaldi for a week now and simply using Firefox for Canvas access. The reality is that I'm really enjoying Vivaldi so far and I'd like to access Canvas on it, but when I enter my login I'm getting an ERR_CONNECTION_RESET message and prevented from going any further. It's not an error I've encountered, so I'm trying to troubleshoot. I know I can generate a permission key to authorize third-party apps with Canvas, so I'm curious if there's a method to do that, or for other non-supported browsers. My use of Canvas is nearly entirely text based, so I'm just wanting to give it a spin.

What you're describing doesn't sound like it's an unsupported browser issue at all. The third-party app thing doesn't apply to the web interface that you see through a browser.

It sounds more like a secure connection (SSL) issue. Are you using DSL per chance? I had similar problems at the start of the year with Firefox and Thunderbird, which uses Firefox code. I don't remember the exact error, but we were having connection issues to our mail server. I could send small packets that would get through as long as they were under the MTU, but when I tried to send an email that was longer than 1 packet in size, it would sometimes, in unpredictable patterns, fail. Subsequent deliveries all failed as well. Finally, after a while, it reset itself and it might work. Eventually, we discovered that although the MTU is supposed to be autonegotiated, that  something was keeping that from working. When I told my Windows machine to use an MTU of 1492 instead of the default 1500 for Ethernet, then everything started working -- although maybe not optimally. That 1492 was the maximum MTU for my DSL connection.

gtmiller1
Community Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm not on a DSL connection, but I'll look into it. It looks like I have success using the browser from my physical campus, but at home just a few miles away my private internet won't connect (I use Century Link). I'll look into it, but for the meantime, thank you for all your feedback!