Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pimmel2
Surveyor

Ideas for Online speech class

Jump to solution

Hello All!

I am teaching an online speech course this fall.  I've done the online class many times in the past, this is the first time with Canvas.  My question is...For those of you teaching online speech, how do you have the students submit their speech videos and how do you have students submit any peer evals?  Do you use the tools baked into Canvas or do you use third party solutions?

Discuss!  Please and Thank you!

Pat Immel

Northwest Missouri State University

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I used a service called USEEU but it was only a pilot and I wasn’t very impressed with it. That is not an option now.

Thanks,

Pat

View solution in original post

13 Replies
SkyVKing
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Pat,

What did you use previously when you taught the class online?

I used a service called USEEU but it was only a pilot and I wasn’t very impressed with it. That is not an option now.

Thanks,

Pat

View solution in original post

SkyVKing
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Two solutions:

I believe some of our language classes also use VoiceThread.  @phili ...can you confirm or correct my assumption?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey there,  @pimmel2  ...

While I don't necessarily have an answer for you (I do not teach courses in Canvas...rather, I'm an admin for our school's Canvas instance), I wanted to let you know that I'm going to change your "Question" into a "Discussion".  Reading through your question, it seems to me there may be multiple solutions and not necessarily one "Correct" option, so thus the reason for changing this to an open-ended "Discussion".  I hope that's okay with you.

Thanks Chris!

No worries!

Pat

dhulsey
Adventurer II

@pimmel2 ‌, take a look at Screencast-O-Matic, which is especially good if your students are using slides or something similar as visual aides because they can record slides and webcam -- for free. Then, the students can submit the url to their video to either a discussion board or Canvas assignment.

Although, with public speaking classes, I have always wondered if they can truly be totally online. Recording a speech in an empty room via webcam and/or microphone seems more like personal broadcasting than public speaking. Both seem like valuable skills to me, but they also seem like different skills? I am curious about your thoughts on that.

Anyway, I hope you find the right tool for the job.

Hey Dallas!

I am a BIG fan of Screen cast o matic…just never considered it for this application. For our online classes, we require them to have at least 7 people in the room. They have to show the “audience” before and after the speech! Seems to work out pretty well.

Thanks for your help!

Pat

On 8/27/17, 11:31 AM, "dhulsey@nmjc.edu<mailto:dhulsey@nmjc.edu>" <instructure@jiveon.com<mailto:instructure@jiveon.com>> scribed:

That makes a lot of sense. It didn't occur to me that professors were requiring students to gather an audience, but that truly is public speaking. Thanks for that idea!