Identifying which question a student has received from a question bank - how?

Mattias_
Community Explorer

I am generating a question bank using a computer program that automatically creates a a question bank with a set of applied mathematical problems of the same kind, but with different numerical values for the problem variables. The idea behind this is to reduce potential cooperation by having a quiz to draw a unique question at random from the question bank.

At the same time as the program creates the question bank it also generates problem solutions in order to make it easier to check student solutions. Each solution is saved in a separate file which is linked to the problem through an identifier in the filename. The same identifier is used in the question ID of the question bank.

Upon grading I would like to know which problem each student has been assigned from the question bank as I want to compare the student solution with the computer generated solution to the problem.  For this I need to relate the particular problem drawn from the question bank to the correct file containing the solution. 

I would therefore like to ask about how I can extract the question identifier of the problem (as it has in the question bank) from the particular problem extracted and assigned to a student quiz. Having such an identifier at hand I can then directly find the computer generated solution.

Best wishes,

Mattias

0 Likes