cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

If I already have an account as a teacher, how do I pair with my own child to observe his/her classes?

Jump to solution

If I already have an account as a teacher, how do I pair with my own child to observe his/her classes?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

You have a couple of options! Smiley Happy

I have colleagues who also have children in the building. They actually prefer to have two separate accounts (one for teaching, one for parenting!), for their roles in Canvas. They use their official school email for their teacher account, and they use a personal email for their observer account. The most common feedback is that they can separate work life from home life a lot easier. They can sign in to Canvas Teacher and Canvas Parent using the appropriate login credentials and set notifications in a way that works best for them and their family!

If you'd like to keep your accounts "merged", you can use your teacher account to also observe your child. When you click Account then Settings, do you see an Observing tab? If yes, you can follow the directions in this guide: How do I link a student to my user account as an observer? If not, let me know. There is a way to do it, but it's hidden. I'll send you the workaround in a private message because it can also be used by students to observe other students.

View solution in original post

Community Coach
Community Coach

At this time, local Canvas Administrators all should have the process for allowing Teachers to also be Observers. If you find this thread and are wondering about how to accomplish this, please reach out to your local Canvas Support. How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

You have a couple of options! Smiley Happy

I have colleagues who also have children in the building. They actually prefer to have two separate accounts (one for teaching, one for parenting!), for their roles in Canvas. They use their official school email for their teacher account, and they use a personal email for their observer account. The most common feedback is that they can separate work life from home life a lot easier. They can sign in to Canvas Teacher and Canvas Parent using the appropriate login credentials and set notifications in a way that works best for them and their family!

If you'd like to keep your accounts "merged", you can use your teacher account to also observe your child. When you click Account then Settings, do you see an Observing tab? If yes, you can follow the directions in this guide: How do I link a student to my user account as an observer? If not, let me know. There is a way to do it, but it's hidden. I'll send you the workaround in a private message because it can also be used by students to observe other students.

Is there a setting that we have to change, or is is a real workaround? We are having this problem as well with faculty and staff who want to follow their students with their school account. I have not been able to find a setting as the admin to change ability for teachers to be observers, but I may be missing something. Please reach out when you get a chance. Thanks!

Hi Alex -

There isn't a setting that can be changed from the Admin level. Teachers CAN be Observers too, but each user needs to do a tiny bit of work to make it possible. There is a work-around (which I can message you directly), but it can definitely add some confusion to the dashboard. Luckily, teachers can color-code, nickname, and reorganize their course cards as necessary. 

I'd love to know this work around. This is going to affect many people at our school too. Thank you

Can I get the workaround too on how to add my own child to my teacher account?  Thanks!

it ok

Kristen,

Could you please send me the instructions for setting this up? We have some teachers at our school that want to have their accounts set up this way.

Thanks!

Could you send me the work around to be able to add my child to my teacher account?  I don't want to have to log in and out of them.  Thank you!

Can I please get a copy of the workaround, too? Thank you!