cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

If "Grades" is hidden from course navigation, do students get notified of gradebook changes?

Jump to solution

A professor did not weight her gradebook at the beginning of the semester, although her syllabus indicates that grades are weighted. She corrected her gradebook by weighing her assignment groups. This shifted all students' grades--some for better and some for worse. She wants to see the before and after to adjust grades so that it isn't such a drastic impact on student grades. She asked me if students would get notified of gradebook changes if she hides the "Grades" menu item from her course navigation as she tries to determine a reasonable solution. Does anyone know if students would get blasted with email notifications as she tries to sort things out?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

shanaegalloway@nnu.edu, yes, if they have their notification preferences set up to show grades, they would get the notification. I just happened to have a student working in my office and checked this. Even with "grades" hidden students can still access this information from the View all Grades area of the Dashboard and via their individual assignments that are in Modules, Assignments, etc...

My recommendation is to have the Instructor play around in the Beta or Test environment (where no notifications are sent out and the changes aren't "real") and then once happy make the changes in production.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

shanaegalloway@nnu.edu, yes, if they have their notification preferences set up to show grades, they would get the notification. I just happened to have a student working in my office and checked this. Even with "grades" hidden students can still access this information from the View all Grades area of the Dashboard and via their individual assignments that are in Modules, Assignments, etc...

My recommendation is to have the Instructor play around in the Beta or Test environment (where no notifications are sent out and the changes aren't "real") and then once happy make the changes in production.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for confirming my suspicion, kona@richland.edu! I discouraged her from trying that method, so she ended up exporting the gradebook and manipulating it there.

Highlighted

Very good! And downloading the gradebook is definitely another solution, thank you for sharing what ended up working.