cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trodgers
Surveyor

Image embedded from Choose File instead of URL, Canvas or Flickr.

Jump to solution

Is there a way to put or embed an image from a choose file option instead from URL, Canvas or Flicker into a Text Entry or Assignment description  box.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @trodgers , and welcome to the Canvas Community! You didn't say if you're a teacher or a student, and that's important, because the process for adding an image to a page will vary depending on your role. Teachers can use the Content Selector panel to upload images from their computers, and this is described in How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?.

If you're a student, you will not see the option to Upload a new image in the Content Selector panel, in which case you're using the Image icon in the Rich Content Editor (RCE) icon ribbon (described in How do I embed images from Canvas into the Rich Content Editor?). The only options you'll see are the three you listed: URL, Canvas, and Flickr. Students need to upload images from their computers to the My Files area first (that's the "Canvas" option), and after that the image will be available to you from the Canvas tab.

I've written a resource that describes how students upload images into their discussion posts using the Embed Image icon, and this same process will work anywhere the RCE is available to you: How students upload images into their discussion posts​.

Hope this helps. Please post back if you still have questions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @trodgers , and welcome to the Canvas Community! You didn't say if you're a teacher or a student, and that's important, because the process for adding an image to a page will vary depending on your role. Teachers can use the Content Selector panel to upload images from their computers, and this is described in How do I insert course images into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?.

If you're a student, you will not see the option to Upload a new image in the Content Selector panel, in which case you're using the Image icon in the Rich Content Editor (RCE) icon ribbon (described in How do I embed images from Canvas into the Rich Content Editor?). The only options you'll see are the three you listed: URL, Canvas, and Flickr. Students need to upload images from their computers to the My Files area first (that's the "Canvas" option), and after that the image will be available to you from the Canvas tab.

I've written a resource that describes how students upload images into their discussion posts using the Embed Image icon, and this same process will work anywhere the RCE is available to you: How students upload images into their discussion posts​.

Hope this helps. Please post back if you still have questions.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @trodgers ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because it's been two months since there has been any new activity in this particular discussion topic.  Did the response from stefaniesanders‌ help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  If you are still looking for help with this issue, however, please post a comment or reply below, and members of the Canvas Community will be here to help.  For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies and/or comments.  I hope this is okay with you, Thomas.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

It still would be nice that they did not have to take so many other steps. Maybe add a link directly to the "Files" page can be added to the URL, Flickr, Canvas image embed icon.

Thomas Rodgers

Kearns High School

Stage/Video/TV/Digital

TRodgersCourses.com

I completely agree with you,  @trodgers ‌, and you'll find a related idea is currently on the Product Radar: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1053-upload-an-image-directly-to-a-discussion-as-a-student?sr=...‌  I hope you'll add your vote and feedback to the idea.