cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer II

Images embedded in Pages disappear/reappear at random?

Jump to solution

Images (which I have saved in my Course Files and then embedded in Pages in my course) will sometimes disappear, and are replaced with the name that the image has been saved as. The image will then reappear at a later time. Is there a way to keep this from happeing? Here is an example:

262429_pastedImage_1.png

47 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi,

Any more update about this problem. We just got students reported that they cannot see images in the quiz. They are using Safari and FF. We're reporting this problem to CANVAS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Sanida,

I wonder if you might share any recent updates you have from canvas Support on this issue? Is this still being reported at your institution?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer II

This issue resurfaced for me today. I am using Chrome. As you will see in the conversations above, and those in the link below, this occurs across multiple browsers, and clearing cache, etc. does not resolve the issue. Thus, it seems that the temporary fix for this issue is no longer holding? Or perhaps a recent Canvas update may have not included the fix for this problem? Some have reported that images in their Canvas Quizzes are not showing up.

One indication that this 'quiz image problem' could occur for students may also surface in other places as well. For example,

My HomePage is now sometimes appearing like this:                       Instead of this:

270899_pastedImage_271.png                270900_pastedImage_272.png

If you are running into a problem with images diasppearing, PLEASE help by submitting a Problem Report to Canvas. I expect that the more that this critical issue is reported, the quicker it will make it to the Canvas Engineers' radar. 

In case you are unfamiliar with how to submit a Problem Report...

Once you login to your Canvas LMS, click on "Help?" from the Main Menu on the left. Then select "Report a Problem" from the 'dropdown box' that opens. 

270901_pastedImage_425.png

I have submitted a new Problem Report, which included a link to this page (https://community.canvaslms.com/message/94343-re-images-embedded-in-pages-disappearreappear-at-rando... ), and to a more recent submission (with links to others embedded there) at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/97114-re-disappearing-graphics?commentID=97114#comment-97114 

Personally, I am not comfortable giving my upcoming exam (scheduled to open 3/15 @12:01am) until it is resolved. The exam needs to include embedded images for students to answer the exam questions Smiley Sad.  Hopefully, this gets fixed soon. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

This is also happening on my Canvas course right now when viewing in Chrome, so whatever fix was enacted didn't entirely clear the problem. The images have been fine throughout the summer session, but suddenly the images are broken on the Home page. I haven't heard from any students to see if the images are broken for them as well, but they're not appearing for me in either my regular view or Student View. 

Viewed in Firefox, the images load just fine: 

280426_firefox_view.jpg

Viewed in Chrome, all I get are broken image tags:

280436_chrome_view.jpg

Even weirder, when I look at those images in the Files area in Chrome, the thumbnails appear in the files list but the images themselves will not load:
280437_chrome_files.jpg280438_chrome_broken.jpg

All the other images in the Files area are fine (for now).

Highlighted
Explorer II

Hello lbach@usfca.edu ,

Though I know of no true solution to this reoccuring problem, it seems that the most recent instance of

is being discussed here https://community.canvaslms.com/message/107419-re-disappearing-graphics?commentID=107419&et=watches....  Perhaps you will find it helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Sorry, it's 2019 and the problem is still happening.  Kimberly, my exam goes live tomorrow at 6:00 AM and it seems Canvas will be giving my class (art appreciation) 10 free  answers (the file names show up next to the broken link icon). NOT happy with Canvas right now.

Highlighted

Hello mikeg139@aol.com ,

I totally sympathize, and don't really understand why Canvas continues to have this issue. I use images in some of my exam questions as well - and students can't answer the questions if they can't see the image. My own images have been okay for about 6 months now - but I still worry that they will just start randomly disappearing again. I imagine this would be exponentially disruptive when teaching an art class. I wish I had a better answer for you, but it seems that all you can do is submit a ticket and try to work your way up the chain (past the "clear your cache" type responses) until you get to someone who can drill down on what is happening. 

Highlighted
Community Member

For the past few months, I  have got reports from faculty the embedded images keep disappearing and reappearing. 

PLEASE let the engineers know....still isn't fixed as of April 11. 

Highlighted

junyang8 , I just emailed support about this since I've been having trouble recently.  I'll post on here when I get an answer.

Highlighted
Community Member

This is the email I received from Support.

Thank you for contacting Canvas Support! I’m sorry to hear some users are having trouble viewing images in your course, and I’ll be happy to help.

We will need just a little more information in order to assist you. What is an example of one of your courses where this issue is occurring? What images (on which pages) are sometimes disappearing for other users? What are the names of the other users who are sometimes not able to view the images? Once we have that information, we will be better able to assist you.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels