cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Images in Respondus

Jump to solution

We had an instructor contact us about an issue. He created quiz questions directly in Respondus and also added images to the questions while in Respondus. He then followed the steps to publish these questions as a question bank to his course in Canvas. However, only the images did not copy over to Canvas.

Based on a past article, it appears that images currently cannot be imported through Respondus: 

http://canvaswiki.uen.org/wiki/Importing_quizzes 

Is this something that we can submit a feature request for through the Canvas Community? Or would Respondus be have to contacted directly?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nicole.stahl@ucf.edu

I strongly suspect this is Canvas behavior, because of the way Canvas handles images - if they are not already included in the course's Files area, they will not be displayed. When importing/copying any content, except copied Canvas courses, that includes images, the images have to be separately uploaded to files. Even when copying individual pages from one Canvas course to another, the images have to be uploaded separately.

I would submit a feature idea.

I hope this helps,

KLM

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nicole.stahl@ucf.edu

I strongly suspect this is Canvas behavior, because of the way Canvas handles images - if they are not already included in the course's Files area, they will not be displayed. When importing/copying any content, except copied Canvas courses, that includes images, the images have to be separately uploaded to files. Even when copying individual pages from one Canvas course to another, the images have to be uploaded separately.

I would submit a feature idea.

I hope this helps,

KLM

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner II

If this does get submitted as a Feature idea, I will DEFINITELY vote for it! I have to use Respondus all the time assisting our instructors with getting quizzes published into Canvas, and many of them have images in the questions. It is such a pain to have to go back in and manually add the images to the questions after publishing into a course! A lot of our instructors use Respondus to publish their quizzes into courses themselves, and they are not happy about this either.

I have been in contact numerous times with both Respondus Support and Canvas Support, with no luck. I wish that Canvas and Respondus would 'play nice' together, like other LMS's do. Don't get me wrong, I like Canvas, but am really unhappy in this one area. 😞

Highlighted

Sorry for the delay! I went ahead and submitted a feature request for this: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8010-images-in-respondus 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi nicole.stahl@ucf.edu,

I had a similar issue around the time you initially posted this. I KNEW there had to be a way to do it. Three months later I found a way that will work sometimes. If the professor's exams originated from the publisher's test bank, you can pull them directly from the Test Bank Network to Canvas and it will preserve the images. 

I hope this helps for a future project!

-Bryan

Highlighted
Community Member

I'd been having the same issue for a while and I finally figured it out.  On Respondus, change the personality to IMS QTI on the Start tab.  Publish using the QTI XML zip file format.  Import the file on Canvas.