cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Imported Announcements Display Differently

Jump to solution

Hi. I imported a bunch of announcements from one course into another, and I found that the list of announcements looks better in the original course. (See comparison, attached as CanvasAnnImportDisplay.png and CanvasAnnOrigDisplay.png) I've found that if I create a new announcement from scratch using the same content in the course where I imported announcements, it displays nicely (see CanvasAnnNewVsImportDisplay.png) even though the imported version doesn't. Is this just a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

kstack@mpc.edu, this behavior is by design. Only announcements (and discussions) that are created in the course display the creator's profile photo; announcements and discussions that are imported from another course omit that. The reason is to accommodate schools that have instructional designers creating the content in a master course so that when the courses are imported or copied into multiple "live" courses the original creator's info doesn't come along with the items.

If you want your photo to display in the new course, you'll need to copy each announcement and create it anew. Personally, I like having the photo display, so I employ a little workaround: Every semester, I copy my announcements into a sandbox course. When I'm ready to post them in the new live course, I copy them from the sandbox and paste them into the live course--making whatever adjustments are necessary to intra-course links.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Sorry - to be clear, it's just the way the announcements display in the list of announcements (click on Announcements in the navigation sidebar). The announcement itself displays normally, except it lacks the name and profile picture of the person who posted it (me).

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

kstack@mpc.edu, this behavior is by design. Only announcements (and discussions) that are created in the course display the creator's profile photo; announcements and discussions that are imported from another course omit that. The reason is to accommodate schools that have instructional designers creating the content in a master course so that when the courses are imported or copied into multiple "live" courses the original creator's info doesn't come along with the items.

If you want your photo to display in the new course, you'll need to copy each announcement and create it anew. Personally, I like having the photo display, so I employ a little workaround: Every semester, I copy my announcements into a sandbox course. When I'm ready to post them in the new live course, I copy them from the sandbox and paste them into the live course--making whatever adjustments are necessary to intra-course links.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

...and I do this for discussions, too. When I copy my course over from the just-ended course, I use Select Specific Content to copy over everything but the announcements and discussions--and I then use Select Specific content again to copy only the announcements and discussions into the aforementioned sandbox. (Yes, I'm fussy about those photos. Smiley Happy)

Highlighted

Thanks for the explanation, stefaniesanders! Maybe we could put on the wish list for future improvements the option to import announcements and discussion prompts with creator's meta data or not?