cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Importing Blackboard Questions with Equations

Jump to solution

I think that I already know the answer to this, but has anyone found a way to import Blackboard assignments or exams that have mathematical equations in them? Is there an external tool that can handle this if Canvas cannot? Currently, when the faculty at my institution tries to import any questions with equations in them, they get the following issue:

Missing links found in imported content - Assessment Question question_text

I know that the rich content editor has a mathematical equation tool, but I wanted to know if a straight import was a viable option or not. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I think that I may have figured it out. Initially I was trying to import my Blackboard quiz zip files into Respondus and it was not converting them. Then I directly linked Respondus to my school's Blackboard server, pulled the quiz into it, and it successfully converted the equations when it created the QTI files! I am going to keep on testing it to ensure that it works in all cases, but I think that this may do it! kona@richland.edu​, thank you for all of your help with this!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

msgarcia​, I'm going to share this with the LMS & Migrations​ group to see if they can help. Yet, my initial thought is that the only way this might work is using Respondus and I'm honestly not sure if that would do the trick or not. Hopefully someone who has been through or is going through the process (with Bb) will be able to help out and give a definitive answer!

Highlighted

Thanks Kona. I tried with Respondus, but the equation was still lost. Currently I am attempting to see if I can reconcile it with MathType. Please let me know what they say, and thank you again!

Highlighted

Since I shared it with them antime who could help would reply directly to your post!

Highlighted

I think that I may have figured it out. Initially I was trying to import my Blackboard quiz zip files into Respondus and it was not converting them. Then I directly linked Respondus to my school's Blackboard server, pulled the quiz into it, and it successfully converted the equations when it created the QTI files! I am going to keep on testing it to ensure that it works in all cases, but I think that this may do it! kona@richland.edu​, thank you for all of your help with this!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Awesome! Sorry I didn't think to include the linking of Respondus to Bb to do the switch over to Canvas. We did this when we went from Ange to Canvas and overall things came over pretty good. We still had a few issues here and there and had to spot check things, but it definitely saved us a lot of work!

Highlighted

No worries. I had tried it with Respondus earlier using the direct link, and it didn't work, but I later found out that it was because I chose an incompatible question type. Once I switched question types, I was good to go!

Highlighted
Community Member

I've used Respondus to import the quiz with lots of symbols from BB and export it to Canvas based on you guys' suggestion. It was doing what you said, it converts some of the symbols and definitely saves parts of the work.  But the issue is, the professor I'm helping with, he has more than twenty quizzes, each quiz has about five questions, so, overall, using Respodus itself will create more work than manually fixing the equation errors. But still, if you have a reasonable number of quizzes, go for this solution. It seems like the best option to fix the equation errors when copying quizzes across LMSs so far. Thank you @Kona Jones & @Mark Garcia:)

Highlighted
Community Member

Even when retrieving questions from Blackboard into Respondus, my equations are not included. I tried two methods--after retrieving in the Blackboard format  view.

1-retrieve then convert to QTI

2-retrieve then convert to Canvas

Anyone have a suggestion...or more details regarding steps taken in Respondus.

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi msgarcia‌, I see this is an older post, but hopefully you'll remember if you see this. Smiley Happy

When you had success with the equation migration, were the equations copied over to Canvas as images or as equation "text"?

BTW...The only success I've had in migrating equations is by opening Blackboards's equation editor, copying the equation text from there, then pasting that text in Canvas's HTML editor.

Thanks!

-Ben