cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scarmack
Community Member

Importing a Quiz twice

Jump to solution

I am trying to give a quiz (that is located in the commons) twice, so that I can use the results for student reflection. The quiz imported into Canvas and I renamed it, but it does not seem to be copying a second time. How can I import or duplicate the quiz?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @scarmack ...

When you successfully imported the quiz into your course from Canvas Commons the first time, did you review the quiz in your course to see if it looked okay?  Were there any noticeable issues that you had to correct/edit?  Or, did it look like a normal quiz?  I'm not sure why you would be getting that error, and so I might recommend that you reach out to Canvas Support to see if they can help investigate this further with you.  If you do end up contacting them, please come back to this topic to provide an update so that we know what the solution was.  Thanks!  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @scarmack  Thank You for posting your question.  Do you know if your school's local Canvas administrators have enabled the quite new "Direct Share" option within your Canvas courses?  If so, this would allow you to make a duplicate copy of your quiz the fastest way possible.  When you follow these directions, How do I use Direct Share to copy a quiz to another course?, instead of selecting a different course to copy the quiz to, you would just select the same course that you're currently in.  I just tried this, and it worked perfectly.  To check on the status of the course copy, you could go to your course "Settings" screen and then select "Import Course Content".  Under "Current Jobs", the top-most item would have the date/time of the copy you just did.  Once it is "Completed", you can return to your "Quizzes" screen, and it should be listed a second time.

Your second option, if you don't have the "Direct Share" option, is to use the Course Import Tool.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13101-4152497985  While logged in to your course, follow the directions in this Guide.  Instead of selecting a different course, you are going to choose the same course that you're currently in.  It will probably give you a warning message saying you've selected the same course, but that's okay.  Once you have done this, the quiz should appear duplicated in your "Quizzes" page.

I hope this information will be helpful to you, Susanne.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions...thanks!  Stay safe, and be well.

scarmack
Community Member

Thanks for the response! I think we are set up for direct because that is how I imported the quiz the first time. However, all of the other attempts failed due to an "import error":

Susanne Carmack

North Central State College

Instructor - BUSM, ACCT

Tutor

2441 Kenwood Circle

Mansfield, Ohio 44906

Hi  @scarmack ...

On the second line of your screen shot, it shows an import at 3:42 p.m.  Is that the very first time that you tried to import that quiz into your course from Canvas Commons?  Or, did you import it earlier in the day (based on one of the lines I can see from your screen shot)?  I'm not able to tell if you have "Direct Share" or not from your screen shot, but I'm assuming that you've not used "Direct Share" yet because instead of "Canvas Common Cartridge" (these are your imports from Canvas Commons), you would see "Course Copy".

scarmack
Community Member

The import worked the first time, but the subsequent attempts failed. The screenshot I sent was the error message. I got the message when I attempted using the 'import from commons' (which is how it worked the first time), and when I attempted it using the quiz copy from settings.

Susanne Carmack

Instructor - BUSM, ACCT

Tutor

2441 Kenwood Circle

Mansfield, Ohio 44906

Hi  @scarmack ...

When you successfully imported the quiz into your course from Canvas Commons the first time, did you review the quiz in your course to see if it looked okay?  Were there any noticeable issues that you had to correct/edit?  Or, did it look like a normal quiz?  I'm not sure why you would be getting that error, and so I might recommend that you reach out to Canvas Support to see if they can help investigate this further with you.  If you do end up contacting them, please come back to this topic to provide an update so that we know what the solution was.  Thanks!  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
scarmack
Community Member

I appreciate your reply.

Yes, the first import of the quiz worked fine.

I will see if Support can help.

Thanks.

Susanne Carmack

Instructor - BUSM, ACCT

Tutor

2441 Kenwood Circle

Mansfield, Ohio 44906

vrodriguez2
Community Member

I am having the same problem.  I need 3 slightly different versions of Quiz 2 for my course and I have two problems happening. First when I import Quiz 2 back into the same course it doesn't copy everything correctly. Groups were not saved (some were and others not) and new points in groups were not updated and saved although everything was saved corrected before importing.  Then when I want to import another copy, it completely deletes the first copy. I have done this 3 times..I've carefully changed the names and corrected the missed changes. I also move the 2nd copy from imports to quiz assignments but it still keeps completely deleting the first copy. I am giving this midterm tomorrow and I am not sure of what to do or any work around. This quiz app seems so buggy and frustrating. Is there any solution?