cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Importing a downloaded course from Commons

Jump to solution

How do I import a course I've downloaded from Commons?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

mhinojosa@dsdmail.net​, ah, I think I understand what you're trying to do. Instructors can go into Commons and import the course into an already created course. Instructors can't use this as a way to create a course and import the content - all at the same time. The course shell has to already be created and the Instructor has to be listed as the Instructor of the course in order for them to import content into their course from Commons.

What we do is create a "sandbox" (play) course for all of our Instructors (we literally name it "last name Sandbox"), add them as an Instructor to their course, and then let them play around with it as they are learning Canvas. For what you are trying to do, this is my recommendation as well. Create the course (give a unique name or each course) and add the Instructor to it as an Instructor.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

mhinojosa@dsdmail.net, so I'm guessing that instead of importing the course directly, you downloaded it as a file and now you want to import it into a course? Is that correct? If so, then here's a guide that will help - How do I import a Canvas course export package?

Highlighted

Actually this is my situation. I am going to be training a lot of teachers in my district as we just adopted Canvas for all of our secondary schools. We use the SIS system to import courses and students into Canvas. I am going to be doing a lot of training this summer, but we will not be importing courses until the first of August. I need to create a practice course for the teachers who will be attending my trainings this summer. My teachers are not able to create their own courses so I will need to create the course for them as I am the district admin. I was told I could create it and then import it into Commons. Then the teachers could go into Commons and import the course into their account. But all I can see is a way to import course content into a pre-made course. Is there not a way for them to get the actual course shell into their account?

Highlighted

mhinojosa@dsdmail.net​, ah, I think I understand what you're trying to do. Instructors can go into Commons and import the course into an already created course. Instructors can't use this as a way to create a course and import the content - all at the same time. The course shell has to already be created and the Instructor has to be listed as the Instructor of the course in order for them to import content into their course from Commons.

What we do is create a "sandbox" (play) course for all of our Instructors (we literally name it "last name Sandbox"), add them as an Instructor to their course, and then let them play around with it as they are learning Canvas. For what you are trying to do, this is my recommendation as well. Create the course (give a unique name or each course) and add the Instructor to it as an Instructor.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

So how do I create a "Sandbox" course for my teachers? I am the district admin so can I do this or do I need my CSM to do this? By the way Kona, I really appreciate your answering my questions.

Highlighted

No problem at all! And Welcome to Canvas! The Community is a great place to get help, find information, and share knowledge! Smiley Happy

And yes, if you are a Canvas admin at your Institution you can easily do this. We do it manually (because we normally don't have that many to do at one time and it's not that hard), but you could also do it via SIS import (higher level stuff).

For the easiest way, here's a guide that explains how to create a course manually - How do I create a course in an account? & then how to add user(s) to the course - How do I add users to my course?

For more advanced, here are the guides that explain how to use SIS import to create courses - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4141#jive_content_id_SIS_Imports

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Thanks again. I'm going to take this info to my programmer and see if we can create a sandbox course that I can use for my trainings.