cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Importing into a manually-created 'Master Course' question...

Jump to solution

We had our teachers create a Master Course for each subject taught. At the end of the semester we are going to have them export their current course (created for them from PowerSchool) into their Master Course.

We are having issues with this scenario: A teacher already has a course within the master course, she goes to export and import the current course she is working from to the master course, will the changes made in the current course override the Master Course if assignments and quizzes have the same name?

That is a confusing question (it took me awhile to figure out what was being asked, too) so if anyone needs more clarification, I will try to clarify! Smiley Happy

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

aholland1@plymouth.k12.in.us​,

I assumed that the above to answers were correct, so I tried this several times to make sure not only was I replicating the situation you are describing, but that it would work as you are asking.

So, in the same scenario... I have both a Master course and Current course. After copying the content from the Master into the Current, I decided to add one more quiz question to a quiz. The quizzes have the same name, but I want to make sure that the quiz I have update will be available in my Master course for future use. So, I export the quiz using the Copy a Canvas Course​ feature and clicking"Select Specific Content" (I would assume this would work for copying all content, but I didn't try it), and only copying the quiz in which I added a question. The result, was that it did replace the quiz in the Master course with the added question that I inserted. For example, I added the Thor question at the bottom (see picture below), and it appeared correctly. It just added the question to the already existing quiz.

Hope that answers your question.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.49.50 AM.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Hi aholland1@plymouth.k12.in.us

Nothing in the destination course will be overwritten. If you have, for example, a quiz in the exported course that has the same name as a quiz in the destination course but contains different questions, after the import you will have two quizzes in the destination course. They will both have the same name but will be separate quizzes and have different questions. This will look confusing at first but if you open each quiz and look at the questions to check which quiz is which, you can then rename one of them to help you distinguish between them.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Allison,

I believe in this case duplicate objects will be created.  Even though assignments and quizzes may carry the same name, the object ID of those assignments and quizzes will always be unique.  (You will notice this in the Canvas URL as you are navigating to each assignment and quiz).

Perhaps what that teacher can do is reset the course content in that master course before she imports her current course content.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

aholland1@plymouth.k12.in.us​,

I assumed that the above to answers were correct, so I tried this several times to make sure not only was I replicating the situation you are describing, but that it would work as you are asking.

So, in the same scenario... I have both a Master course and Current course. After copying the content from the Master into the Current, I decided to add one more quiz question to a quiz. The quizzes have the same name, but I want to make sure that the quiz I have update will be available in my Master course for future use. So, I export the quiz using the Copy a Canvas Course​ feature and clicking"Select Specific Content" (I would assume this would work for copying all content, but I didn't try it), and only copying the quiz in which I added a question. The result, was that it did replace the quiz in the Master course with the added question that I inserted. For example, I added the Thor question at the bottom (see picture below), and it appeared correctly. It just added the question to the already existing quiz.

Hope that answers your question.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 10.49.50 AM.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you! This answers it!!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE Twitter Chat #CanvasChat: Managing Masters (2/14) which is coming up this Tuesday, February 14, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels